Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's

why is my son having behavior issues during class?

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Bill replied 1 year ago.

Bill :

Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

Bill :

I am happy to help with this

Bill :

Are you able to chat now?

Bill :

Children at this age can act out in school for a variety of reasons and if you would be kind enough to share some more detail about:

Bill :

1. The type of behavioral problems

Bill :

2. How long they have been occuring?

Bill :

3. If there is anything happening at home that may be contributing to this?

Customer:

Teachers tell me he's being disruptive in classes such as pecking hands or feet. Said half of the school year(began Aug8 '12) but just met with me Dec 19 to let me know. My husband & I are trying to figure this out & is so frustrating to us.

Bill :

Have you ever suspected that he may have issues with ADD?

Bill :

This is a common behavioral trait of a child with ADD?

Customer:

Not really thought about it, & how can this be determined later in adolescent life of minor??

Bill :

ADD is something that is often not diagnosed until adolescence. It is a condition with varying degrees of impairment. I am not stating that your son has ADD as this requires a comprehensive evaluation........the thought just came to me when you mentioned the behavior 's of concern.

Bill :

How is he doing at home?

Customer:

has a sibling & both have that teenage attitude, but for the most part good boys. the son that Im referring to seems to be confident & motivated to an extent. he loves baseball & being outdoors. learning to enjoy golf & fly fishing with his dad

Bill :

That good- does he have any problems following instructions, staying on task- maintaining order- forgetfulness or similar behaviors>>???

Bill :

What does he say is the reason for the school problems?

Customer:

none of the above.

Customer:

he denies that he is causing a problem in class

Bill :

Has he ever had any problems in school before? Does he have any learning related problems? How are his grades?

Customer:

No, he's always been A/B honor roll from 3rd grade till present, & now the grades seem to be slipping ~ is this due to ADD or not?

Customer:

Fyi: he's in 7th grade

Bill :

I don't think it is ADD- with what you have related. IF he has done well in school and this is a problem that has recently surfaced, it is not likely to be ADD or you would have known by now.

Customer:

ok so what can we do from this point forward?

Customer:

any advice?

Bill :

There is something going on in his life that is bothering him as if he has done well academically and behaviorally to this point, I would want to rule out anything related to negative peer influence, use of alcohol or other substances( many kids start using at this age) and,.........

Bill :

Set up a case conference with the teachers and counselors at school to see if you can get more information.

Bill :

Is he in middle school?

Bill :

Still there?

Bill :

I would also want to rule out any underlying emotional issues i.e. feeling overwhelmed with pressure- stress- depression etc.

Bill :

If there is a School Psychologist- I would seek their opinion. They often will observe behavior in class and be able to shed light on what may be going on

Bill :

This is a good article that you and your husband should read:

Bill :

"What Is Normal, What Is Acceptable, and Why Do Teenagers Act This Way?"

Customer:

yes Im here. I can tell you that the one & only conference was totally shocking for me cause one female teacher titles him the "worst behaved adolescent boy" on her team

Bill :

WOW- I would definitely request a meeting with all teachers, school guidance, school psychologist to get to the bottom of this.

Bill :

Something is going on and they should help you with this.

Bill :

If he is doing well at home and you get this type of response from the school - then further evaluation is indicated.

Bill :

Does this sound workable?

Bill :

Call the school tomorrow and schedule a case conference.

Bill :

This is something you want to NIP in the BUD as soon as possible.

Bill :

If you have follow up questions for me- feel free- to ask- I am happy to repsond.

Bill :

respond*

Bill :

Kindest regards, Bill

Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience: 35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
Expert:  Bill replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.