Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist.

my wife has been showing signs of depression OKMH0103211

my wife has been showing signs of depression as a result of chronic pain over the course of two-five years. Her recent operation in Texas is starting to reep a lot of relief but she has been still sad. We've lost friends because nobody wants to be with a sick person (as we've found out) so getting back into the social scene is met with hesitancy, from both of us. I want to take it slow in getting back our lives back...but dont want to spend too much time with friends who were not there for us. So i find that we've been spending a lot of time alone...even relatives have not supportive, so we've cut them out of our lives. I have been married to her for over 21 years, we have no children and the last surgery for endomtreiosis has solidified it. So what can I do to make her feel better about herself? are counseling in order because the last person she seen wasnt very good...she left more confused. I'm thinking with the pain medications and coming off of them may have added to change in behavior...but for me, i'm kindve feeling down sometimes. and ive really got no excuse....so just wondering what to do from here?

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like you are doing a lot of good things to get back to normalcy. I am wondering what more are you looking for? What is it that you are missing?Basically, what to do from here is to go back to the things you guys liked to do. As she is able to do more then you resume the things you did when you were first married. Maybe the two of you want to try something new as a couple that you have dreamed of doing. The more you do, the more you resume a normal life, the more you feel better. It has to go in that order and not skip steps.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience: Licensed Psychologist.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Then I think it's time for children...maybe foster children that are school-aged? I feel like I'm missing out on hockey games, story-telling and sometimes for both of us....who's going to look after us when we're old? It seems once our nieces and nephews get old enough,they don't call and/or come around unless they want something. I'm an educator and have been for many years while my wife had worked in justice for over fifteen years. We have a big house and we're both wanting children...I think after the surgery it was not in our grasp, anymore. I would like to propose that to her once she's completely healed. Her previous job, although is good for her, I think looking after grade-level children would give us purpose and someone to take care of.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.
There you have it.time to have the discussion with your wife.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience: Licensed Psychologist.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sure will, thank you
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! Best of luck to you!
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience: Licensed Psychologist.