Doctor Rao
Doctor Rao, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,MD,DPM,MRCPsych

is elavil working like remeron.

is elavil working like remeron. I cant take any antyhistamine medication and i have bad reaction to remeron. Is elavil based on antyhistamine

Elavil is not an antihistamine. It is a Tricyclic antidepressant called Amitriptyline. It is one of the types of antidepressant. However it has some antagonistic properties against antihistamine receptors.

Based on the available literature, It acts on the following receptors.

Amitriptyline acts primarily as a serotonin-norepinephrine re uptake inhibitor, with strong actions on the serotonin transporter and moderate effects on the nor epinephrine transporter.

It has negligible influence on the dopamine transporter and therefore does not affect dopamine re uptake, being nearly 1,000 times weaker on it than on serotonin.

Amitriptyline additionally functions as a 5-HT2A, 5-HT2C, 5-HT3, 5-HT6, 5-HT7, α1-adrenergic, H1, H2,H4, and mACh receptor antagonist, and σ1 receptor agonist.

So, as you can see it has some antagonistic properties on histamine receptors But based on the clinical experierience we do not regularly see this as a major action. However it is important for you discuss with your Doctor and also it depends on the reasons for you not able to take Antihistamines. If it is only mild allergy (or not confirmed allergy) you can try small dose following your discussion with your Doctor. But, if it is due to interactions or any other significant cause please discuss with your Doctor.

I wish you all the best.

Please do not hesitate to ask me if you require further information.

If you find the answer helpful,please provide positive feedback.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so what are you telling me that elail is not working like remeron which is highly antyhistamine

Remeron (Mirtazepine ) is not an antihistamine Per se although it has some antagonistic properties on H1 receptor. The main mechanism of action of Mirtazepine is Noradrenergic and serotonin receptors.

Elavil action is different from Mirtazepine and they belong to different groups of antidepressants.

What I am saying is if you can't take antihistamines for major reason like severe allergic reason discuss with your Doctor. If you are worried about antihistamine taking because of your experience with Remeron, you can discuss tip your Doctor and consider a trial period if you both feel safe to do so.

I hope this helps.

Thank you