TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

My husband is clinically depressed and seeing a therapist weekly.

My husband is clinically depressed and seeing a therapist weekly. In their therapy session, they made a bet - which he lost and he paid up by purchasing her a $300.00 Louis Vuitton bag - which she accepted. In addition, he told me that she asked him whether he wanted to go to the movies with her and her parents. I find this to be unethical - Am I correct?
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

You are right, what this therapist is doing is considered unethical. No therapist should ever make a bet with a client or ask a client to buy something for him/her. Also, a therapist should never meet with a client to go to the movies for fun. Clients should also not meet a therapists family for any reason. This is considered personal in nature and can interfere with a client's progress in therapy.

You may want to talk to your husband about searching for a new therapist. Also, if your husband wishes to pursue this issue, he can either talk to the therapist's supervisor or her licensing board to find out how to proceed.

I hope this has helped you,