TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

I have had problems with my mother in the past. She at time

I have had problems with my mother in the past. She at time has shown me that she doesn't support me, now I am going thru a very difficult time and just trying to keep a roof over my head right now is a challenge. This constant stress is a drainer and financial problems is the main cause. When I take my Mom shopping, I live on the other side of town, I don't always have the gas which causes me more stress. Is it wrong of me to ask my Mother to put in something for the gas??. Most of the time she doesn't offer and I have never asked her for anything and wouldn't ask her if I wasn't going thru a rough time.
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

It is perfectly fine for you to ask your mother to pay for the gas you use going to her home and taking her out. It is important to set that boundary so you don't get taken advantage of. And being that you are struggling right now financially, then asking for gas money is a good thing to do. Your mom should offer, but if there are issues and she won't help you out, then you have to ask. And since your mom will not consider other alternative and relies on you to take care of her, it is only reasonable that she compensates you for your time and your cost to do this for her.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate