Rafael M.T.Therapist
Rafael M.T.Therapist, Psychotherapist
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
65591635

I have problems focusing at work and staying on task from time

I have problems focusing at work and staying on task from time to time. I am also a student at the local community college and have trouble listening. I listen what they say, but it's like I must be day dreaming and don't hear. What can I do

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I am sorry to know about your situation. Could you please tell me for how long these episodes last and how long ago did they start? You said they happen from time to time, so it's my understanding that they do not undermine your work and academic activities all the time, right?

Customer:

they are pretty frequent. no not all the time. but for as long as I can remember

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Thank you for replying. Then what you mean is that you have been experiencing these difficulties for ears but the are not present all of the time but happening very frequently, right?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Do you know what triggers or worsens them?

Customer:

yes. I am not sure what triggers them. But when caught off guard and realizing it does make me quiet anxious and worsens at that point

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Tanks. One last question. Have you noticed if your mood does contribute to these episodes. you just said you get anxious when catchign yourself experiencing them. My question is if you can associate these episodes to any specific mood or mental state, like when feeling more stressed out, worries, tired, sad, etc.

Customer:

well when I am tired it

Customer:

it is worse when tires

Customer:

not really stressed out as much as it is hard to stay on task and focused

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I see. What you are describing seems to be related to symptoms of ADD - attention deficit disorder but when people get this disorder the symptoms do not use to come and go but remain, getting worse depending on mood and mental states but stay there deeply undermining the persons work and academic functioning, relationships, everything.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

This is why I made those questions.Many mental conditions, from depression to anxiety do present attention-concentration problems, and thy could come and go depending on how mood and metal states change.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

The only way to know for sure what is causing these attention-concentration problems would be through a direct psychological assessment evaluating these psychological processes and their activity when your psychoemotional experiences change.

Customer:

yes i understand that. I feel it is too often to be just my mood. I hear what people are saying but I am thinking of so much more. I start one project and then start another project without finishing.

Customer:

what can i do about a prescription for add

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

If regardless the presence of this problem you have been able to finish high school and to keep a job, it'd mean the severity of this problem is not as bad as in many cases of ADD, but serious enough to affect you and for sure it requires you to address it with necessary professional support, namely, psychological evaluation and consistent counseling or psychotherapy to make improvements. Many times some people do benefit from medication for ADD, but there is no way to know unless you try it under competent professional support.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

My recommendation is for you to get a complete psychological evaluation first to identify what's the problem, and from three you would be referred to counseling to work on actually improving your attention-concentration and coping, and to a psychiatrist who would assess the soundness of prescribing medication. i do not recommend you to get this type of medication from general or family doctor.

Customer:

thank you