Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

RA-JM

Customer Question

I have been on klonopin for 8 years & it's quit helping me, today my new doctor prescribed me Xanax, I took 1mg x 3 daily of the Klonopin but that wasn't my starting dose, my new dr. prescribed the xanax 1mg 3x daily but I think it's gonna knock me out, should I start alittle lower
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well i can understand your concerns about the direct switch over to the same dose of xanax but i will like to allay your apprehension and fear regarding development of any untoward side effect due to this , the reason being that after years of use of klonopin which is also a benzodiazepine class drug just like xanax , your body by now must have developed tolerance against benzodiazepines therefore the transition from one benzodiazepine like klonopin to another like xanax will be most likely smooth without any problems.

Besides this i may also like to bring your attention to the fact that klonopin is a more stronger and longer acting drug as compared to xanax , which in simple words imply that 1 mg 3 times a day dose of klonopin is somewhat stronger than the same dose regime of xanax, so basically you are being started at a comparatively lower dose ,so if you clearly look at this switch over your doctor has very wisely chosen the same dose of xanax keeping in mind this fact plus also giving attention to another point that by doing the same dose switch over, this is most likely to prevent development of withdrawal syndrome of klonopin characterized by some distressing withdrawal symptoms which tend to develop if klonopin is abruptly stopped or rapidly withdrawn or the switch over to another drug is not balanced out like this.

So i believe your doctor is on the right track and you should follow his advise as he knows what he is doing , so stop worrying and go ahead with the switch over.

However having said this, if you still feel apprehensive and hesitant about the switch over then you may discuss with your doctor to start on 0.75 mg three times a day dosing instead of the proposed 1 mg three times a day dosing regime and from there your doctor can slowly titrate up the dose as per the need and your tolerability of the drug.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a Positive rating if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.

If there is any further assistance that you need please feel free to ask using the reply button.

Regards..