Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

My sister, who is 14 years younger than me has been diagnosed

Customer Question

My sister, who is 14 years younger than me has been diagnosed with ADHD. I am concerned that I may have it too. I have been doing alot of reading about it, and it sounds so closely like what is going on with me also...
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 1 year ago.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that I can help.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Please tell me what is going on with you.

Customer:

I have 5 children, and I feel like my life jumps from daily storm to another. I am always taking kids to hockey, wrestling, baseball soccer,,,,, I am always in a hurry and we are always running late. I can't seem to feel satisfied with myself, as I am unable to manage the kids schedules, my husband's and mine.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

This is not ADHD, not what you have told me so far.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You are a modern mom with 5 kids and not enough time to even breathe.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Tell me more and I will have a better idea.

Customer:

OK, I worked as an RN in the ICU for 15 years. I quit working when I had our 5th child. I felt scatterbrained @ work, as with @ home I was jumping from task to task, and ended up not really following through on much of it at all. I blamed this on my crazy, hectic work schedule, until I stopped working 3 years ago, and have noticed I am still having the same issues @ home as I did @ work..

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

In your quietest times, how does this manifest?

Customer:

My first husband and I divorced after 7 years of marriage. 6 years later I was briefly engaged to my boyfriend from high school, which luckily did not amount to much. So currently remarried.

Customer:

I have scrapbooks for all 5 of our children in piles. I have all the paper and equipment I need, I just have not got around to starting any of them. Also in the house I will jump from task to task without finishing any of them. This drives My husband crazy…and me too...

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You have a lot of interests and a lot of irons on the fire.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Do you eventually finish tasks?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Will you get these scrapbooks done?

Customer:

I am an impulse buyer, often sitting on computer when I should be finishing my errands or work around the house. Usually my husband will help me, and together we get things done.

Customer:

I am constantly interrupting people as they speak, this is driving me CRAZY lately...

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You may have some ADHD behavior but this does not mean that you need to jump onto medication, which would be a very ADHD thing to do..

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Let me ask you something.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Do you ever have periods of depression?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Do you have racing thoughts?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Do you have other reckless behavior besides impulse buying (like gambling, speeding or other reckless things?)

Customer:

Yes, I guess I am very irritable the week before my period, but depressed?? Not sure.

Customer:

Buying clothes on line. For sure.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Do you feel on top of the world sometimes, absolute wonderfully high and then later you are down?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Driving?

Customer:

Not so much on top of the world….

Customer:

I am always speeding, I am usually running late.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Racing thoughts?

Customer:

Yes, sometimes. Then later can

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Talking a mile a minute?

Customer:

can't remember all of it.

Customer:

I can, yes.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Do you take any medications?

Customer:

If I can't say what is on my mind when it comes to mind, I just don't remember it..

Customer:

ambien for sleep

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Bad insomnia?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Drink a lot of caffeine?

Customer:

synthroid 0.1 qd

Customer:

TERRIBLE insomnia YES!

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You have hypothyroid condition.

Customer:

Couple cups coffee in am, Diet Coke in afternoon.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You should stop the diet anything especially with caffeine in the PM.

Customer:

It is on the low end of normal. This was my GP's suggestion

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Aspartame is a psychostimulant best avoided.

Customer:

OK, didn't know that

Customer:

Would it be inappropriate to seek a psychiatrist??

Customer:

My GP will refer if needed.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Synthroid, in excess of what you need can cause anxiousness, confusion, agitation, insomnia, weight loss, and increased appetite.

Customer:

I have a blood test scheduled for 6 week follow up. Will reevaluate then

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I am wondering if you might have bipolar disorder. Many symptoms can be similar. Your depression may be due to PMS (being irritable is a sign of depression).

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I don't think you can find bipolar in the blood.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You have some symptoms of mania. Let me give you the official ones from the DSM-IV and you can look them over.

Customer:

My blood work is for my thyroid recheck. Thanks.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Mania DSM-IV

A) A distinct period of abnormally and persistently elevated, expansive or irritable mood, lasting at least 1 week (or any duration if hospitalization is necessary)

B) During the period of mood disturbance, three (or more) of the following symptoms have persisted (four if the mood is only irritable) and have been present to a significant degree:

1) inflated self-esteem or grandiosity

2) decreased need for sleep (e.g., feels rested after only 3 hours of sleep)

3) more talkative than usual or pressure to keep talking

4) flight of ideas or subjective experience that thoughts are racing

5) distractibility (i.e., attention too easily drawn to unimportant or irrelevant external stimuli)

6) increase in goal-directed activity (at work, at school, or sexually) or psychomotor agitation

7) excessive involvement in pleasurable activities that have a high potential for painful consequences (e.g., engaging in unrestrained buying sprees, sexual indiscretions, or foolish business investments)

C) The symptoms do not meet criteria for a Mixed Episode

D) The mood disturbance is sufficiently severe to cause marked impairment in occupational functioning or in usual social activities or relationships with others, or to necessitate hospitalization to prevent harm to self or others, or there are psychotic features.

E) The symptoms are not due to the direct physiological effects of a substance or a general medical condition.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

******************************************

Customer:

Thank you.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If you go to any psychiatrist, make sure that he or she is an intelligent and worldly and experienced one.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Psychiatrists can misdiagnose and the usually give medications.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.