Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

Hi, I have got some bad habit from some one else to all time

Customer Question

I have got some bad habit from some one else to all time move my tongue in mouth, touching to lips & teeth . its very bad and crazy habit but somehow unable to stop it.
and then phobia of noticed by others. who can help on this, Physcologist??
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 1 year ago.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I am assuming that you have not been taking any medications, particularly antipsychotic drugs or other psychoactive medications as these drug will give you these kinds of mouth and tongue movements.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If it is just a habit that you have developed, then it fulls under the category of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Customer:

hi,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Hello there.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I recommend that you find a therapist who specializes on anxiety disorders including OCD, and uses a psychotherapeutic technique called

Customer:

I am a very active/energetic guy and very much perfect in my job and life and I dont take any medicine, no drinking, no smoking

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Exposure and Response Prevention.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

What causes you to start doing this?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

How did you "catch" it from another person?

Customer:

really I am not sure that I need to take any therapy like this because its just habit and then phobia of noticed by others.

Customer:

actually after all my good things I have one bad thing which is, if somebody is doing something wrong, I will start thinking about that lot and fear that I should not have this and during all this kind of research & development, finally I gets the habit, it looks really funy but it happens

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Therapy IS for breaking bad habits that we cannot control, especially ones that give us anxiety, as yours seems to give you.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

That is the best and most effective way to deal with this habit.

Customer:

once you start doing like this, then mouth watering will come and it will lead further problems like while talking lips are wet and with some water and which lead to stop you from communicating specially when you are working with very high class people, I am nnormally working with very high level people

Customer:

once you start thinking about this then brain will be there all time irrespective of any going on activity and in that case things goes more worst because you trying to overcome from the problem all time which affects work efficency and I have noticed in this kind of problem that problem resolves in long time when you get another problem and your brain stops focusing on this problem

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If this is the case, then you certainly don't want to appear as if you have a speech problem or drool. I believe that is just a few sessions you can end this habit. Lebanon is a very sophisticated country with many highly educated therapists. I urge you to find one.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You have the symptoms of OCD and I strongly urge you to get treatment.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If you would like to get a workbook on this, which may be helpful but not a substitute for therapy, then I recommend this one available at www.amazon.co.uk

Customer:

I always wonder how therapy helps for the problems which is generated by our own habits and to be solved by us, this is just for my knowledge

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Therapy shows us how to retrain our own minds in changing thought patterns and behaviour. We are led, by skilled professions, on the path that solves our own problems.

Customer:

while this problem is going on, I have seen others also got affected as a human nature for some days then they were allright by tthemselves

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Here is the book I recommend:

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Break Free from OCD: Overcoming Obsessive Compulsive Disorder with CBT by Dr. Fiona Challacombe, Dr. Victoria Bream Oldfield and Paul M Salkovskis

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If you think that you will be alright yourself then you should not be concerned. If you have a problem that you cannot control yourself, then get professional help. People are helped greatly every day.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Some people can work out their own problems, and perhaps they appear to, you do not really know what goes on in their lives.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I have given you good options and an effective workbook.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

How else may I help you?

Customer:

Really I am feeling lucky today to find you for such kind of discussion which I was struggling alone for couple of months, I never know that this kind of online help really works

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I feel blessed that I am able to talk to you and give you guidance.

Customer:

this work I can download free from amazone site?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

No. It is a brand-new book for sale and with the shipping will cost less than ten pounds UK money.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Break-Free-OCD-Overcoming-Compulsive/dp/0091939690/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1357167367&sr=8-2

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

That is the site where you can purchase it.

Customer:

ok got it

Customer:

so you suggest that I have to meet physcotherapist, not physcologist or physcartist

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I wish you great success.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Psychotherapists can be psychologists and occasionally psychiatrists.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Psychiatrists tend just to give drugs.

Customer:

realy this problem has brought me down from the sky

Customer:

I really dont know why I can not control this kind of habit problem otherwise in life I am a very much confident guy. could you please give me some tips from your great experience that how to be confident for habits problem as well. I mean some kind of specialist hint which I can make like key for me to avoid future problems

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

We could be here all day if I were to do that. Instead let me recommend another book.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

you know I am finding what I was looking for, thats why discussion is taking long time, sorry for any inconvenience

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I hope that I have helped you. You just need a little boost and you will be fine.

Customer:

alright, thanks for your valuable inputs, this book also we need to order or get online

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Order online.

Customer:

in last, do have any weblink which I can download right away

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

http://zenhabits.net/25-killer-actions-to-boost-your-self-confidence/

Customer:

Right, Thanks for your excellent & Great inputs, truely satisfied, Thanks

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Blessings to you.

Customer:

bye for now, if you remember something more please do not forget to drop on my mail XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX, I will be highly gratefull for that, bye

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I wish you the very best and I enjoyed the chat.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.