Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

RA crb

Customer Question

I was on citalopram 20mg for ten years. It gave me a tic in my throat so doc decided to put me on fluoxitine 20mg. I feel really unwell and don't know what to do. I only had one day without my citalopram then went straight onto fluoxitine. My gp is not being helpful or supportive add said I should just come off them. I know from past experience that I get really ill when I do this. Please help
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 4 years ago.

Dr Vikas :

Hello

Dr Vikas :

Are you currently taking Fluoxetine or have stopped taking it?

Dr Vikas :

Fluoxetine should not be stopped abruptly because doing this can lead to discontinuation / withdrawal symptoms.

Dr Vikas :

It appears to me that you are offline

Dr Vikas :

we can discuss further once you are online again.

Dr Vikas :

Hello

Dr Vikas :

are you there?

Dr Vikas :

I am assuming that you want to know whether or not you should stop Fluoxetine abruptly and the answer is that it is always better to taper it down instead of stopping it abruptly to avoid withdrawal symptoms.

Dr Vikas :

You have mentioned that your GP want you to stop Fluoxetine without tapering?

Dr Vikas :

In my view, it is better to taper down Fluoxetine.

Dr Vikas :

In a patient who is taking 20 mg of Fluoxetine and want to stop it, we either reduce the dose to 10 mg, ask him or her to take it for 4-6 days followed by discontinuation. Since Fluoxetine has long half life so another possible way to taper down is to start taking 20 mg Fluoxetine every alternate day for 4-6 days followed by discontinuation.

Dr Vikas :

You can discuss with your GP about both the methods.

Dr Vikas :

I hope this helps.

Dr Vikas :

please feel free to ask further if you have any other question.

Dr Vikas :

Please do not rate my answer if your question is not yet fully answered.You can simply ask further by using REPLY button and I will get back to you.If you are satisfied with my answer please rate one of the positive ratings (3,4,5 / smiley faces) as this is the only way how we are compensated for our time and expertise.

Bookmark my profile link in your browser. ( http://www.justanswer.com/mental-health/expert-drvikas/ )

JACUSTOMER-52kd2zy7- :

Hi it's making me feel unwell but don't know if this is just it getting into my surveyors not just unsure what to do. Sacred to come off it as I react quite badly taking or coming off meds . Do you think if I stay on it it will eventually work as I have only been on it three weeks

JACUSTOMER-52kd2zy7- :

Into my system that was meant to say

JACUSTOMER-52kd2zy7- :

Feel very unsure about medications and what they do to you

JACUSTOMER-52kd2zy7- :

Could I still be having withdrawal from the citalopram

JACUSTOMER-52kd2zy7- :

I'm still taking fluoxitine