Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.

Dear Dr. Keane Can I ask for support on this one please? First

Dear Dr. Keane Can I ask for support on this one please? First of all, Happy New Year to you! One of my positions at work is to become obsolete and unless I get the full-time position then things will feel like a backward step. I won’t be totally unemployed because I’ll still have one job, it’ll just be a bit harder. I knew at somepoint that this might happen, but it doesn’t make it any easier. I’m also scared that I do get it too and I make a mess of it. Illogical I know as I already know most of the job. I want to keep moving forwards in life though and keep taking positive steps. You see, if I do get the position I know that may be quite exciting too and I it would actually go towards enabling me to forfill some plans. It all just seems a bit of an anxious time over my future. I managed not to think about it over Christmas, so that was a nice time. I have started to prepare what I’ll write in the application form when the position is advertised for a few months time, and I know that’s all I can do at the moment, but it is a worrying time. I am trying to reduce the anxiety and worry. I've been taking time to read some of the books I got as presents. I'll be able to recommend them to you if they're good, not reached the end yet. I am trying to keep the positives in focus, like, I might be lucky enough to get the job, I now have a good set of friends who I have fun with and do things with, I am still able to chat with you and I am growing. I hope that you had a wonderful Christmas with your family and friends. I also hope you have a good New Year's Eve night/New Year Day. Hope you have chance to respond.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 1 year ago.

Dr.Keane :

Hi, I just saw another question you posted close to the New Year but it did not see earlier. I'm sorry I missed it, not sure how or why but I did. As far as your employment situation I would encourage you to think about getting the position instead of worrying about taking a backward step. You know you can do the job, have the experience and will do a good job. Again, the "what if's" are getting in your way, don't let them. Keep the focus on how exciting a new position will be and how having it will allow you to make some plans for your future. You know how worry doesn't help anything and it's good that you are taking steps to alleviate it by trying to stay focused. Happy New Year!

Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience: Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.