Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
48585111

My husband is suffering from depression for the past +- 25

My husband is suffering from depression for the past +- 25 years. For the majority of this time he is ok with the help of his medication. Work stress got worse and also with our the born of our baby and new responsibilities things got worse I wills ay for almost the past 20 months. Normally he is just very tired and withdrawn but his depression is different now as he cant sleep and is more depressed? dont know him like that. Hisprevious phychiatrist passed away december 2011 which also had a impact on him as he has been with him for many years. He is seing someone else but dont seem to be happy with him. He has also changed his medication to try and find something that will help but everytime it just made it worse. Can you recommend someone in the Cape Town area perhaps? He is currenlty on Effexor and lithium. Thank you
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Bill replied 4 years ago.

Bill :

Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

Bill :

I am happy to help with this and sorry that you husband has not found satisfaction with his current psychiatrist. It is a big loss when someone loses their Doctor and I am sorry that this has effected your husband.

Bill :

The following Doctors in Cape Town treat the types of problems your husband is dealing with:

Bill :

SPECIAL INTEREST AREAS INCLUDE
1. The treatment of all adult psychiatric disorders extending to the treatment of adolescent and elderly patients.
2. Special interest in the treatment of the Bipolar Mood Disorders and the Psychotic Disorders.
3. Special interest in the treatment of Severe Depression and Anxiety Disorders.
4. A strong interest in religio-cultural issues in psychiatry and the importance of socio-cultural support in mental health.
5. Special interest in the treatment of Addictive Disorders and the Attention Deficit Disorder (Adult Type).

Bill :
Suite 173, Milnerton Medi-Clinic, Racecourse Road, Milnerton, Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
Bill :

Phone: +27 (0)21 551 8660

Bill : Dr. KSM (Dainty) Meyer
Bill :

Dr. Meyer specialised in Psychiatry at the University of Stellenbosch, graduating in 1998. She has been in full time private practice since 1999 in the Blaauwberg area.

Areas of interest:
• Anxiety Disorders
• Depression
• Postnatal Depression and Anxiety
• Psychotherapy and Neuro-psychoanalysis
• Psychopharmacology

Bill :
Physical Address: 9 Dolphin Drive, Bloubergrant, Table View, Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
Postal Address: PO Box 46185, Kernkrag, 7441, South Africa
Phone: +27 (0)21 556 4019
JACUSTOMER-8oxx2wh1- :

Hi Bil

Bill :

Hi- are these Doctors close to where you live now?

JACUSTOMER-8oxx2wh1- :

Thank you for the feedback, however Dr Chait is the doctor that cannot really assist him at the moment. They have tried various medication with no success. What is your opinion regarding his situation? Is it possible to make any suggestions or do you need more info?

Bill :

I would suggest he seek a second opinion form Dr. Meyer- (Above). He has specific training PsychoPharmacology which would be most beneficial to your husband.

JACUSTOMER-8oxx2wh1- :

As you are also an expert what would you do in this situation where it seems that the effexor is not working sufficiently? will it be only medication that will help him to go back to a normal lifestyle?

Bill :

I can say that Effexor and Lithium are commonly prescribed and take 3-5 weeks to have full effect. What dosages is your husband taking. ??????

Bill :

The other consideration would be to consider getting second opinion at University of Cape Town - Department of Psychiatry.

JACUSTOMER-8oxx2wh1- :

He is on this medication for years now. I know he is taking 225mg Effexor and not sure about the lithium. I know that was increased as well at helped for about 3 weeks. He also increased his Effexor from 150mg to 300 at a stage. It only help for a short period before he fell back into depression. This time around it is also different as he is more depressed where other times he will only get very tired? He can also not sleep now which never happened before?

Bill :

My suggestion is that he definitely get another opinion. Since Dr. Myer is an Expert on Psycho Pharmacology, I would start there. Also, As above, consider the University of CapeTown Dept of Psychiatry for Second opinion.

Bill :

It sounds like this combination of medication is not providing the necessary stabilization and this can be accomplished. If I were you , I would call Dr. Meyer.

Bill :

Attached below is the latest information on the medication treatment of BiPolar Disorder from Harvard University.

Bill :

Bottom line- this is treatable and just a matter of getting the right balance of medication

Bill :

Do these options seem workable?

Bill :

I see you have gone offline- If I can help in any way- please ask.

Bill :

I appreciate you leaving a Positive Rating as this is the only way I receive Credit at this time.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for all the referrals but you did not supply us with an answer or suggestion to my question.

Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 4 years ago.

My name is Camille and I’m the moderator for this topic. I am sorry, but It seems that the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. But don’t worry….. If you are still waiting for an answer, I will try to find a new professional to assist you! Please keep in mind that sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected. All of our Professionals come on at varying times, so sometimes it’s a bit difficult to predict. Either way....If you would prefer not to wait, please feel free to let me know, and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you.

Camille