Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
48585111

Hello. I am a 26 year old male; for years now I have been

Hello. I am a 26 year old male; for years now I have been very mood/emotionally unstable. I am predominantly depressed and do have anxiety issues that both affect me socially and with relationships. The moods flip from being very happy, outgoing, and social, to depressed, non social, and avoiding people all together, while normal, is more extreme and occurs more often than in anyone considered normal.

I have read up on a few mental illnesses and am quite positive it has nothing to do with bipolar since the mood changes do not reflect the criteria of mania and switch many times throughout single days.

I have spent many hours observing my emotions/moods and have come up with this list of symptoms that I find have an affect on my life...

get upset easily

get annoyed easily

get angry easily

moods switch easily (randomly and situationally)

more often depressed

nervous a lot of the time, more in social situations

terrible sleep ( always wake uncomfortable, never feel well rested in morning, wake up confused/time disoriented,
wake up worried about missing things, wake up more than once per sleep)

can't stop eating skin on fingers

fidgety

feel others are viewing me negatively or constantly stressed about others observing me even if not the case

happiness doesn't last long. Randomly fades back to depression. from hours to a day at most.

Sometimes get strange feeling something unknown is wrong

constant guilt about acts and personality (who i am)

constant need to nap (energy drain)

Loss or change in personality (almost as if i have two conflicting personalities or I lose my personality altogether)

everything feels dull and crappy when depressed

feel good then bad about same person (friends, family...)

difficulty relaxing at times

when bored or at home too long get very depressed

My concerns to be brief, are the mood swings (mainly depression) and my difficulty with relationships.

I would just like to know if it sounds like I have a mental health disorder of any kind.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Bill replied 1 year ago.

Bill :

Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

Bill :

I am sorry to hear about what sounds to be a mood related disorder.

Bill :

I am going to give you detailed information on Mood Disorders from Harvard University. Also, I am going to give you a couple of self

Bill :

scoring quizzes that will help us identify what type of mood disorder you may have. Reply to me with the result of you quizzes.

Bill :

Quizzes:

Bill :

I look forward to hearing from you and the results from these scores. I will respond ASAP with suggestions on what you can do.

Bill :

It will also be helpful to know where you live in Canada so that I can identify resources that can help - in you area.

Bill :

Kindest regards, Bill

Expert:  Bill replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I did both the tests. I scored a 44 on the depression test and 36 on the bipolar quiz. I live in Toronto, Ontario

Expert:  Bill replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jim-

These results indicate that you need to have professional evaluation and conclusive diagnosis for Mood disorder- most likely BiPolar type.

Detail regarding treatment for Bipolar Disorder is here:

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/bipolar_disorder_diagnosis_treatment.htm

I feel it is best, XXXXX XXXXX that you see a Psychiatrist as treatment will most likely require medication.

I am attaching a link that will enable you to locate a Psychiatrist who specializes in Mood Disorders in the Toronto area:
http://www.mooddisorders.ca/guide/guide-to-finding-a-doctor

I recognize that treatment may have to referred through your GP.

This is a very treatable problem and I encourage you to seek treatment as soon as possible.

If you have further questions for me, feel free to ask- I am happy to help.

Otherwise, I wish you the very best.

Kindest regards, Bill

I appreciate your Positive Rating so that I receive credit for my time.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I work for the government and believe I have signed a document which allows them to check my health records.

I am worried if they find out about my visits to a psychiatrist or if I

become diagnosed with any condition I may lose my job.

Would there be any possible way to work around this?

Expert:  Bill replied 1 year ago.
Jim-

I understand you concern-

Depression is a Medical Illness and like all others- your records are confidential.
If you have signed some type of release that allows your employer to check your medical records, this is typically something that is done for a date specific time (such as pre- employment).

Because of you concern, and the fact that I am not an expert on Canadian Law, if I were you, I would contact one of the Psychiatrists in your area and inquire about this issue before making an appointment.

If you want to clarify the legal aspects- you can also pose the question to one of our Just Answer Canadian legal Experts so that you have proper reassurance.

http://www.justanswer.com/canada-law/

If you have further questions of me- feel free to ask- I am happy to help.

Kindest regards, Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience: 35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's