Dr. Bonnie
Dr. Bonnie, Psychologist and RN
Experience:  35 years experience counseling children and families

My daughter says she is going to marry John Mayer. She says

My daughter says she is going to marry John Mayer. She says they have had a relationship for 5 years. She and her 5 year old child have lived with me the last 4 years an she has moved to Livingston, Montana because JohnMayer bought a place in Bozeman, which is about 20 minutes from where she is.
It is very heartbreaking for me to see my daughter being delusional. She says I am not invited to the wedding because I think she is delusional. She is 35 years old and I just want her to get help. She also thinks she can sing and puts her videos on youtube. I believe she is trying to get JohnMayers attention. Is there anything that I can do about this?
Hello and thank you for using our service. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be answering your question tonight.

I am soo sorry you find yourself in this frustrating situation. This scenario is frustrating for us mental health providers too because there is nothing you (or anyone else) can do until she talks of self-harm, harm to others or breaks the law. When it gets to this point she will be involuntarily hospitalized, put on medication to reduce the delusions, and be her normal self.

I have a feeling that if she stalks John Mayer, that will be the event that results in help for her. I know it is hard to watch and you certainly don't want to see it get worse. The only reassurance I can give is that getting worse will be a good thing because then she will get the help she needs.

When and if she threatens self-harm or harm to the police for help. Try to protect grand-daughter from seeing the police take her because she will probably fight them.

Again, I am sorry....warm regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

would like to know if she would be considered schzophrenic?

Hi again,

She is having psychotic thinking. Her thinking is similar to a person with paranoid schizophrenia if it has been going on for a long time. If it has been less than 6 months, it could be a psychotic reaction or a manic phrase of Bipolar Illness. A psychiatrist should see her face-to-face to accurately diagnose her.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I live in Victorville, California and she moved to Livingston, Montana. She moved there so she could be close to John Mayer. He bought a place in Bozeman. It is about 20 minutes from where she lives.

This make believe relationship has been going on for 5 years. What do you think she would do if I told her that if she continues on with this, there is a possibility she could lose her 5 year old son.

Thank you

Hi Peggy,

From what you have told me about her past behavior, I doubt she will listen but it is worth a try. It is true that if she ends up in the hospital her abiity to parent will be questioned.