Dr. Bonnie
Dr. Bonnie, Psychologist and RN
Experience:  35 years experience counseling children and families

I have a 5 year old grandson , 3 yearold grandson, and 1 year

I have a 5 year old grandson , 3 yearold grandson, and 1 year old grand son with downsydrome. My 3 year old starting having nightterros after the grandson with downs was born. He also regressed with talking and is now going to speach thearpy. His Dr. as started the 3 year old on tresadone to sleep.
Hello and thank you for using our service. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be answering your question tonight.

I can see you are concerned about the 3 year old's night terrors and speech. I am not sure what question you have for me though.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is he ok taking the trasadone? Can a 3 year old have a neverous break down. He was a great sleeper before the little one came home. will he be ok. There was alot of adjustment for the whole family, Will he out grow night terros and what causse them. He had sleep studys. is he just over yelm and felling left out.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Are you still their

Hi Beth, Thank you for letting me know more about your worries. It does sound like he is adjusting to all the change. The new baby who needs lots of attention may be a factor but some of these things are normal for his age.

Children do not have nervous breakdown like adults. Some children just have a different temperament or personality. Speech delay and night terrors are very common in 3 year old children whether or not they have other stressors. Trazadone is a common medication to use to help with sleep especially after a sleep study when a sleep problem was probably discovered.

I know it seems weird for a young child to have a sleep study but they are being done more often at younger ages and are really helpful.

Remember that the key word that you and I both used was "adjustment". This implies that, although the child and the family are having difficulty, they will get better after an adjustment period.

It sounds like he is getting good care: doctor who orders studies before prescribing and speech therapy. He has caring parents and grandparents. Everything is on his side here.

I hope this helps you to relax at bit (but I know grandma's worry because often they are not told all the information and the worst is imagined).

Warm regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Warm Reguards to you have a great new year.Can I use you if i have any more concerns. You have helped me relax. Take care. Beth

Yes please do! Just put FOR BONNIE in the subject line at beginning of post. Good luck and hope to talk to you again.