Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.

I am cyclothymic. Ive been living with my parents the last

Customer Question

I am cyclothymic. I've been living with my parents the last 4 years because of financial challenges. I thought that going back to school (getting my teacher's certificate in Music Education) would be the answer. However, I didn't have enough money to go back this year. I've been working as an Instructional Support person for the elementary school in my county (Pamlico County, North Carolina). I enjoy my work very much, but I know that I need to make more money. I have a degree in Music Therapy (B.A.), but I missed passing the board certified exam by 3 or more points (1988). Should I look into getting my certification in Music Therapy, or should I continue to save up money to go back to school?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  psychlady replied 3 years ago.

You should follow whatever choice shows the most promise for you. You should identify and ask yourself what specific goal you have and what will lead to that goal. Be specific so that you can fine tune your educational needs. If certification leads to your goal then that is your answer. It is okay to have to fine tune your goals with the changing of your needs as you progress in your career. Your primary choice has to lead to your primary goal. As long as you plan well you can't go wrong in your choice.