How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask TherapistMarryAnn Your Own Question

TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5798
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
TherapistMarryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder. She

This answer was rated:

My daughter has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder. She has no insurance, but I am now suspecting she suffers from bulimia as well and I know she abuses alcohol. How can I get her the help she needs? She is not a minor any more. Thank you
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

If your daughter is willing to get help, then she can get no cost/low cost care through her local community mental health services. You can either contact your local city/county government for a referral or contact the United Way. They have access to all the low fee/no fee services in your area.

If your daughter is not willing to get help, it can be very frustrating. Getting someone to get treatment when they refuse is always difficult, especially when dealing with an adult that you have no control over. You want them to see the importance of taking care of themselves but for some reason, they refuse. It can be upsetting when you care about the person and they will not listen. You can see what they are going through, but they are not willing to address any of their own issues so they can recover.

If you can, try to see if your daughter is willing to see her own doctor. Sometimes a person will talk to their doctor when they refuse to talk to a therapist or psychiatrist. If she is willing to see her doctor, call ahead before her appointment to let the doctor know what is going on. He or she may not be able to share anything with you, but you can certainly tell them what you are witnessing with your daughter and they can address it with her.

You can also enlist the help of friends or other family members. Sometimes a person will listen to someone from outside of their immediate family because they are not so easy to dismiss.

Here are some other resources to help you with ideas on how to help your daughter:

I Am Not Sick I Don't Need Help: How to Help Someone with Mental Illness Accept Treatment-Xavier Amador.

Watch for signs of her health going downhill, especially with Bulimia. If you feel your daughter's life is at any time in danger, you can contact your local ER to request to file a 302. A 302 is an involuntary commitment that forces your daughter to get an evaluation at the hospital. If the doctor who sees your daughter feels she is in any danger, they will admit her and provide the care she needs.

Most of all, offer your support. Be there as much as you can for your daughter. Sometimes that is what makes the most difference in helping her to change and get the help she needs.

I hope this has helped you,
TherapistMarryAnn and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions