Dr. Bonnie
Dr. Bonnie, Psychologist and RN
Experience:  35 years experience counseling children and families

My son is 21 years old and has not slept for a few days, acting

Customer Question

My son is 21 years old and has not slept for a few days, acting paranoid, now he not responding to us at all, just sitttnig on the couch. Should we call 911, don't think he'll come to hospital vountarily.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Bonnie replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using our service. My name is Bonnie and I will be answering your question today.

This must be very scary to you. It sounds like he may be having a psychotic reaction. If you call 911, they will not be able to take him involuntarily BUT they may be able to talk him into it. The other option is to call the police (especially of he has says anything about self-harm or harming others), they will be a bit more forceful in getting him to hospital but it is the more intrusive method.

In any event, I agree that he does need to go to the closest emergency room.

Warm regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So the police can't force someone to seek help, only if they are suicidal of threaten someone else?

Yes, that is may want to call them though...and see what they say about his unresponsiveness. I doubt that would be enough though.