Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
48585111

My girlfriends mother has always been reliant on someone being

Customer Question

My girlfriends mother has always been reliant on someone being with her. If someone isn't then she becomes depressed. She even needs someone to always accompany her on short trips to the store. The constant need for someone to be around you seems like a type of disorder. What would be the best course of action? Or are there any books?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Bill replied 4 years ago.

Bill :

Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

Bill :

I am sorry to hear about this. It sound like your girlfriends mother has a unresolved depression which has resulted in her become more anxious, afraid of being alone, and dependent. This is not uncommon and can be treated however, her mother needs to see a mental health professional for conclusive evaluation and treatment.

Bill :

In the meantime, I suggest reading the following information from Harvard University that will help you understand and to help the family.

Bill :

If you have additional questions, feel free to ask- I am happy to help.

Bill :

Kindest regards, Bill

Bill :

I appreciate your Positive Rating so that I receive credit for my time.

Bill :

Thank you.