Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist.
15682972

I HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH CHRONIC PROLONGED ANXIETY DISORDER/PROLONGED

I HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH CHRONIC PROLONGED ANXIETY DISORDER/PROLONGED PANIC DISORDER/PROLONGED PTSD. WHAT WOULD BE YOUR TREATMENT PROTOCAL ALONG W/ THERAPY? Customer
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.
What have you tried?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
PSYCHOLOGIST & PSYCHIATRIST, MEDICATIONS.....I AM BEING DROWNED IN MEMORIES THAT I WOULD JUST AS SOON FORGET IF I COULD.....I WAS TOLD THAT IF I CONTINUE TAKING ANTI-ANXIETY MEDS, THAT I COUNLD LOOSE MEMORY.....IN THE MEANTIME, THEY PUT ME ON JUST ABOUT EVERY MEDICATION KNOWN TO MAN, WHILE THE WHOLE TIME I AM TALKING TO THEM, THEY SEEM TO BE PROTECTING THEMSELVES BECAUSE OF A CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE......THE IRONIC THING IS, THEY COULDN'T OVERMEDICATE ME IF THEY TRIED, WITH EVERY SURGERY I HAVE HAD IN MY LIFE, THEY HAVE TO GIVE ME AN EXCESSIVE AMOUNT OF ANESTHESIA, AND I STILL WAKE UP DURING THE SURGERY. Customer
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.
Anxiety meds are not meant for long term. SO that is not the answer. Plus, they are addictive and you don't need that on top of all the other stuff you are dealing with. I wonder if you have tried some form of intensive inpatient treatment center that focuses on ptsd? that seems to be contributing to the other symptoms you experience. You address the ptsd then the other symptoms may subside. What do you think?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
DR. G., WHILE I APPRICIATE YOUR CONCERN ABOUT LONGTERM USE OF ANTI-ANXIETY MEDS, I HAVE BEEN PRESCRIBED THESE ALL OF MY ADULT LIFE, THIS DID HELP ME TO BE A PRODUCTIVE FUNCTIONING PERSON, NOW ALL OF A SUDDEN EVERYONE IN THE MEDICAL FIELD SEEMS TO BE QUESTIONING THIS, SO THE PSYCHIATRIST DROPPED MY DOSAGE TO HALF WITHIN A TWO WEEK PERIOD, NOW THE JOKE IS ON ME BECAUSE I AM NOT FUNCTIONING ON A DAILY BASIS AND THE PSYCHIATRIST IS SITTING ON HIS LICENSE (OR SO TO SAY). I HAVE FIVE DAUGTHTERS AND A GRAND-DAUGHTER, I HAVE BEEN MARRIED FOR 27 YEARS, MY FAMILY DOES
NOT HAVE TO SUFFER JUST BECAUSE I HAVE HAD SO MUCH GARBAGE
TO DEAL WITH.....AND LET ME TELL YOU SOMETYHING, MENOPAUSE HAS SEEMED TO MAKE EVERYTHING HIGHTENED. BY THE WAY, I HAVE NEVER SAT HERE AND TALKED TO ANYONE ONE LINE, AND I DON'T TEXT. Customer
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.
There is the liability issue when prescribing some meds long-term, so your assumptions about the psychiatrist may be right. I am glad that it has helped you to function. However, we need to rely more on just meds. I will go back to my initial thought in that if we treat the ptsd then maybe the other symptoms will lessen. This may require you going to an inpatient facility where you will receive both therapy and monitoring of the appropriate medication. What do you think of that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
DR. G., I JUST GOT OUT OF THE HOSPITAL AGAIN ON 12-12-12, FOR SEISURES, ANOTHER INJURY, INFECTION AND YET ANOTHER SURGERY. TO ADDRESS YOUR CONCERNS ABOUT MY PTSD, I HAVE BEEN TRYING HARDER THAN I EVER HAVE TRIED BEFORE TO TRY TO MANAGE EACH AND EVERY ONE, WHICH WILL PROBABLY TAKE THE REST OF MY LIFE.....BUT THAT'S OK.....I HAVE TO GET THROUGH THIS. YOU MENTIONED A SEPERATE THING FOR PTSD.....IS THERE ANY OUTPATIENT ONES.....I'VE NEVER HEARD OF EITHER/OR........JOSIE2013
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.
You can start with outpatient specifically for ptsd. What you need to ask is if the therapist specializes in CBT and EMDR. These are proven treatments for ptsd. That, in combination with a psychiatrist who works with ptsd patients would be the best combination of treatment. But it has to be a therapist who specializes in ptsd. Calling the local VA may be a start and asking for a referral to a specialist. That is what I would try first.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience: Licensed Psychologist.