Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

with posttraumatic stress disorder can their be feelings of

Customer Question

with posttraumatic stress disorder can their be feelings of anixity, paronoid thinking and depression?or should we look at a diffent disorder? john
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 1 year ago.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Dear XXXXX,
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Are you online now?
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : I will give you all of the official diagnostic criteria for PTSD and you see if it fits. What told me so far is not enough information..
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Was she attacked? Did she witness something terrible? Is her life in danger?
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Here are the criteria. Look them over and get back to me. I will leave the chat open. Remember that it is New Year's Eve but I will try to look in on you if you are available later. Otherwise I will respond tomorrow.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Here are the criteria from the DSM-IV, the diagnostic "bible" of the mental health profession.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : PTSD DSM-IV309.81 DSM-IV Criteria for Posttraumatic Stress DisorderA. The person has been exposed to a traumatic event in which both of the following have been present: (1) the person experienced, witnessed, or was confronted with an event or events that involved actual or threatened death or serious injury, or a threat to the physical integrity of self or others (2) the person's response involved intense fear, helplessness, or horror. Note: In children, this may be expressed instead by disorganized or agitated behavior.B. The traumatic event is persistently reexperienced in one (or more) of the following ways: (1) recurrent and intrusive distressing recollections of the event, including images, thoughts, or perceptions. Note: In young children, repetitive play may occur in which themes or aspects of the trauma are expressed.(2) recurrent distressing dreams of the event. Note: In children, there may be frightening dreams without recognizable content.(3) acting or feeling as if the traumatic event were recurring (includes a sense of reliving the experience, illusions, hallucinations, and dissociative flashback episodes, including those that occur upon awakening or when intoxicated). Note: In young children, trauma-specific reenactment may occur.(4) intense psychological distress at exposure to internal or external cues that symbolize or resemble an aspect of the traumatic event.(5) physiological reactivity on exposure to internal or external cues that symbolize or resemble an aspect of the traumatic event.C. Persistent avoidance of stimuli associated with the trauma and numbing of general responsiveness (not present before the trauma), as indicated by three (or more) of the following: (1) efforts to avoid thoughts, feelings, or conversations associated with the trauma (2) efforts to avoid activities, places, or people that arouse recollections of the trauma (3) inability to recall an important aspect of the trauma (4) markedly diminished interest or participation in significant activities (5) feeling of detachment or estrangement from others (6) restricted range of affect (e.g., unable to have loving feelings) (7) sense of a foreshortened future (e.g., does not expect to have a career, marriage, children, or a normal life span)D. Persistent symptoms of increased arousal (not present before the trauma), as indicated by two (or more) of the following: (1) difficulty falling or staying asleep (2) irritability or outbursts of anger (3) difficulty concentrating (4) hypervigilance (5) exaggerated startle responseE. Duration of the disturbance (symptoms in Criteria B, C, and D) is more than one month.F. The disturbance causes clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.Specify if: Acute: if duration of symptoms is less than 3 months Chronic: if duration of symptoms is 3 months or moreSpecify if: With Delayed Onset: if onset of symptoms is at least 6 months after the stressor
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : **********************************
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : I wish you a happy new year.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Warm regards,
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Customer:

Yes on line,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear XXXXX,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

There could be paranoid thinking, anxiety, and depression with other disorders.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I included a list of PTSD criteria above. Do any of them seem appropriate?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Has the person in question (you or someone else) been subject to some serious trauma in their lives, not necessarily recently?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Let me give you th

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Please let me know about the list that I included above and what fits in.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If it does not seem appropriate then we can look at some other possible causes.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I shall be here, on and off, all day and into the evening.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

We shall keep trying until we can have a live chat.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

In the meantime, try to respond to my question.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Talk to you later,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
Dear John,

I received a message that you were online to talk to me. I saw no message but will be available on and off all day and will gladly address any additional concerns that you may have.

Warm regard,

Elliott