Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

can you take prozac and cymbalta together? I started prozac

can you take prozac and cymbalta together? I started prozac last week and dropped the cymbakta cause it made me sweat. can i take the cymbalta now again, too, as my fibromyalgia nerve pain has returned- worse than ever. i also have neurontin (which helped) but not sure whether to take it with prozac either. do NOT want a fatal drug interraction? any suggestions? thanks so much-- in a holiday quandry.. Merry CHristmas
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 1 year ago.

Dr Vikas :

Hello

Dr Vikas :

Prozac is a SSRI antidepressant while Cymbalta is a SNRI antidepressant and since both of these medicines when taken together can cause increase in serotonin levels the combination is usually avoided.

Dr Vikas :

because there is a risk of serotonin syndrome which is although not very common but is a life threatening syndrome.

Dr Vikas :

Gabapentin (Neurontin) can be combined with Fluoxetine as we use it for controlling anxiety as a second line medicine.

Customer:

Great. So I guess it is safe to say I can take the neurontin with the prozac( is that fluoxetuine) with no toxic combo. I sometimes take a hydrocodon and chlonezepam (at night) to help get to sleep...are these 4 meds safe to combine? I want to enjoy my sweet grands this week. Appreciate your knowledge and help....

Dr Vikas :

Yes, Fluoxetine is Prozac.

Dr Vikas :

Neurontin is very sedative so patients taking Neurontin usually does not require Clonazepam.

Dr Vikas :

because when both are taken together the sedation can be additive.

Customer:

so are 1 prozac, 1 neurontin, 1 hydrocodone and are safe to take together tonight? no chlonezepam? it relaxes the muscles. I was in an accident in which my husband died 12 years ago-- my neck and back were fractured- surgery helped alot- then this mysterious fibromyalga paid a visit... am so glad to be alive and don’t want some stupid accident because of a pharmaceutical faux pas on my part!

Dr Vikas :

Hydrocodone is also very sedative and the same rules applies to it also. Combination of Clonazepam, hydrocodone, Neurontin can can cause excessive sedation and respiratory depression.

Customer:

cymbalta was an amazing pain killer...it just made me sweat profusely.

Dr Vikas :

In my view, if you plan to take all them together you should inform your doctor and take his consent.

Customer:

oh, dear. what to do.

Dr Vikas :

A combination of Prozac and Clonazepam along with Neurontin can be a possible option in my veiw.

Dr Vikas :

still you need to be cautious about the sedation part.

Customer:

okay. for tonight- a prozac pill and neurontin with..? one more.... ? i think you just answered.

Dr Vikas :

yes, provided your doctor must have told you that you can take Neurontin if required because we are not suppose to give any prescription advice, this is only for information purpose and I hope you understand my point of view.

Customer:

for five years the surgeon had me on 2 neurontin 3 times per day- 1 hydrocodone 3 times per day- then clonezepam was added for sleeep. yes, I understand your point of view and it is well-received. thank you . tonight the fiery nerve pain is back in an awful way--almost worth talking to the doc after the holidays about suffering the sweats with the cymbalta.

Customer:

since the prozac, the fibromyalgia symptoms are MUCH worse!

Dr Vikas :

Thanks a lot.. Prozac is a SSRI antidepressant and is not useful for Fibromyalgia symptoms

Dr Vikas :

For it Cymbalta which is a SSRI antidepressant is a much better option and so is Neurontin.

Dr Vikas :

Pregabalin is also a possible option.

Dr Vikas :

You can ask your doctor to prescribe you a combination of Prozac, Neurontin to be taken daily and Clonazepam as and when required and this should help in your Fibromyalgia symptoms also.

Customer:

after five days of prozac is it dangerous to discontinue and resume cymbalta and neurontin.

Dr Vikas :

If you are finding Prozac useful it can be continued along with Neurontin but in case, you want to shift over to Cymbalta, it can be done also.

Customer:

prozac really has been no help- i am not aware of pregbalin but willl mention it to my doctor first thing in the new year,,,

Dr Vikas :

You have recently started Prozac and it can take 1-2 weeks to show its effect.

Customer:

so no side effects saying GOODBY to Prozac and shift back to cymbalta. I still have it. miraculously eradicated the fibromyalgia symptoms. if prozac does not help fibromyalgia it may not be worth going into the second week with this ridiculous burning pain.. sorry to complain.

Dr Vikas :

It is a good option for depression and anxiety symptoms but is not the preferred choice for Fibromyalgia.

Dr Vikas :

Currently you are on what dose of Prozac?

Customer:

Fibromyalgia is the MAIN culprit.

Customer:

20mg fluoxetine HCL

Dr Vikas :

OK, when a patient want to switch over to Duloxetine (Cymbalta), we ask him or her to stop Fluoxetine (Prozac) and then switch over to Cymbalta. You are taking 20 mg of Prozac so a good idea could be to stop Prozac, wait for a day or two and then start Cymbalta. But please don't do it by yourself and take your doctor consent before trying it.

Customer:

cymbalta bottle says 30 mgs but just one pill left so yes, i will need to contact the doctor

Dr Vikas :

good,

Customer:

and get the prescription re-filled. prozac was an experiment because of the cymbalta sweats.

Dr Vikas :

what was the dose of Cymbalta you were taking at that time?

Customer:

i have neurontin 300 mgs that i was taking 3 times per day. definitely helped nerve pain.

Dr Vikas :

yes, Neurontin can be a useful additional medicine for Fibromyalgia.

Dr Vikas :

In fact a combination of Cymbalta along with Neurontin can also be tried by an expert doctor.

Customer:

cymbalta/ 30 mg’s leave to be with my children and grandchildren soon so there won’t be time to make the switch right now. i could just STOP the prozac-- take the neurontin as before- it may just be a co-incidence but nerve pain is definitely worse this week taking prozac. just trying to make the holidays lovely with and for the kids (and myself) I don’t think of myself as particularly depressed. sure I miss my husband and have been thru alot but I am pretty strong and certainly filled with gratitude and a zest for life. right now- BOTH underarms are in fiery pain (which won’t be nice for travelling to NYC and the holidays. drats.

Dr Vikas :

OK, in that case, in my view, you can continue Prozac. It definitely does not worsen the Fibromyalgia pain and as you are taking it since last 1 week only so you are not noticing any difference.

Dr Vikas :

So till you are able to see your doctor, it is a better option to continue Prozac.

Customer:

i could do what the surgeon had me on for years- the neurontin, hydrocodon and sometimes a chonezepam for sleep at night. it did not kill me when it was in big doses. am I confusing you.?? I m confusing myself LOL

Dr Vikas :

:)

Customer:

:-) ok- i will take the prozac now...i thought maybe IT might be making the nerve pain worse..

Dr Vikas :

No, Prozac will not worsen the nerve pain

Customer:

is it okay to take a hydrocodon in combo with prozac?

Dr Vikas :

in my view, combination of Prozac with Neurontin is a better choice

Dr Vikas :

as such there are no significant interactions between Hydrocodone and Fluoxetine to the best of my knowledge but however, this does not necessarily mean no interactions exist.

Customer:

gotcha. you have been most helpful and i do appreciate it. AM looking fwd to a nice holiday and a happy 70th birthday celebration with my grands new year’s eve. thank you so much for your patience with the patient. Merry CHristmas to you and yours!

Dr Vikas :

You are most welcome. Wishing you too a merry Christmas and a great new year ahead.

Dr Vikas :

Thanks for coming to JA.

Customer:

THanks, XXXXX XXXXX You are doing a great service. I’ll be sure to follow up with my doctor when I get back- I actually tried to reach her yesterday but to no avail. SO thank you. I just want to be more comfortable WITHOUT some stupid negative drug interaction. I remember the days when all we took were vitamins!! LOL WOnder if there is a specific vitamin on the market that is good for fibromyalgia? just wondering.

Customer:

I mean Friday- I called the doctor on Friday. Will call her again when I return, YOu have helped me thru the holidays. Thanks again!!

Dr Vikas :

honestly speaking there is none. Multivitamin therapy might help slightly in this although.

Dr Vikas :

May I discontinue the chat or do you have any other question to ask?

Customer:

I do take A B C to Z...12 every morning after cereal!! You may discontinue. Thanks for all your time and expertise!!!!!!!

Dr Vikas :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX nice chatting with you.

Dr Vikas :

I wish you a very early and speedy recovery.

Customer:

U2 -good night and God bless!!

Dr Vikas :

Good night.

Dr Vikas :

If you are satisfied with my answers, please rate one of the positive ratings (3,4,5) as this is the only way how we are compensated for our time and expertise.

Kind regards

Vikas

http://www.justanswer.com/mental-health/expert-drvikas/ (Bookmark this link / save my proifle link to your browser favorites.)

Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience: MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics