TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

whats wrong with me?????? I have this doll my Dad gave me

what's wrong with me?????? I have this doll my Dad gave me a long time ago.................I love her so much......she's my little girl.......however, I do bad things with her..............I make her touch me and I try to feed her with my body........what's wrong with me?

While it is hard to be sure without being able to evaluate you face to face, it sounds pretty clear that you suffered some type of trauma, either through abuse or by witnessing something horrible.

When a person tries to comfort themselves through reverting back to childhood behaviors or through symbols such as dolls, that means they never got what they needed as a child. There was either abuse, which replaces the normal love and nurturing with pain and suffering, or there was trauma which can make a person feel scared and revert back to childhood where they can feel comforted.

The only real ways to address what happened to you is to talk with a qualified therapist (someone with a background in treating abuse/trauma) and through self help and support. The therapist can help you discover why you are experiencing these symptoms and provide answers on how to treat what you feel along with support, and self help can let you explore the symptoms of abuse/trauma and ways to help yourself feel better.

It can be unsettling to know that you behave as you do, but realize that you are only responding to something that happened to you. And what you are doing is not hurtful, it is only a way to try to get your basic needs fulfilled. By realizing that you can treat this with some intervention, you can feel better.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

............I was abused as a child..............I'm working in therapy to work past my memories and experiences..............I've never heard before that I do what I do because a need wasn't met in my life.................thanks

You are very welcome! A book you might want to try is called Adult Children of Abusive Parents by Steven Farmer. It is very helpful in letting you see what you feel now is not unusual at all.

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so, I have a related question..................been doing some research and discovered infantilism (being an adult baby)......It seems to fit me perfectly..........I want to regress to younger days when life wasn't so complicated.............but, I'm wondering, is this a disorder or just a way of being? how do I deal with telling my family and boyfriend that I'm an adult baby?

I would be more than happy to continue working with you on any new questions you have. All I ask is that you remember to rate my answers for each new/different question you ask. Let me know if this works for you. Thanks!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sure, I'll ask this as a new question

Whatever is the most convenient for you. I'll look out for your new question.