Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

Im a Finnish teacher student, male, 25 y/o, athletic and healthy,

I'm a Finnish teacher student, male, 25 y/o, athletic and healthy, I have friends, no immediate money problems, no substance abuse problems and apparently some sort of serious depression.

In the last four months I've studied barely 1/6th of what students usually do in such a time. I have a hard time keeping good sleeping rhythm, waking up in time or most importantly, completing university assignments. I attend athletic hobbies usually about twice a week. I have time and opportunities to do a lot of things people usually want to do, but can't make any good use of them. My life feels like its running through my fingers, and I feel like my life is the prisoner of my phlegmatic mind, which is not working for some reason. Yes, I win in board games and calculate as usual. I'm smart, but have little concentration or discipline. My weight hasn't changed even though I often eat too much sweets, since I train regularly and sometimes skip meals due to laziness.

Basically I think I know what I should do, but here I am still with this problem. I should eat healthy and more regularly, sleep more regularly, and make small daily goals to succeed with every day. Even this often feels like too much to ask. I met a nurse and a psychologist from my university health service, and neither told me too much anything I didn't know already. Both mainly agreed with my plan of action and cheered me up.

I want energy and drive to do things and enjoy life. Is it possible? If so, how can I get them?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like you may have mild depression. You mentioned a lack of motivation and difficulty sleeping, two signs that you may be depressed. The depression may be mild because you don't have many of the symptoms of depression, but the potential to develop more is there if there is no intervention.

Depression can be caused by many factors. Sometimes it develops based on circumstances such as trauma, past abuse or a situation like a break up. Other times, it can be caused by chemical imbalances. Or you can have depression and there is no clear reason.

To help deal with what you feel, it is important that you see your doctor first. When you develop symptoms and the cause it not clear, it is always a good idea to rule out any possible physical cause. Many illnesses can cause emotional symptoms first so ruling out any possible physical problems helps you so you can focus on psychological treatment.

To find out if you do have depression, it is a good idea to see a therapist. Any therapist with a Master's degree or above can help provide an evaluation to determine your symptoms and history so you can be given a diagnosis. It is not a good idea to treat what you have until you are sure what it is. It sounds like the counselor you did see may not have been helpful. Sometimes you need to try seeing someone else before you can find a therapist that can help. Consider talking to your doctor about a referral.

Also, keep doing what you are already doing to help yourself. If your doctor clears you taking St. John's Wort, then that can help you. It is known to lift a depressed mood so that may be a good way to help yourself. You can also learn more about depression to see if your symptoms fit the diagnosis. Here are some resources to help:

http://helpguide.org/mental/depression_signs_types_diagnosis_treatment.htm

http://helpguide.org/topics/depression.htm

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/depression/complete-index.shtml

Keep trying to stay to your routine as much as possible. Do what you can, but don't be hard on yourself if you are unable to. If you are depressed, getting help and support will make a difference and you will be able to feel like yourself again.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

This resource may help you as well:

The Depression Cure: The 6-Step Program to Beat Depression without Drugs by Stephen S. Ilardi

Kate

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!