TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

I seem at the moment to be on a rollercoaster, my feelings

I seem at the moment to be on a rollercoaster, my feelings and moods are all over the place. One minute I am feeling that life couldn't get any better. Laughing at anything and everything uncontrollably. Thinking I am pretty amazing. People I know told me this week they thought I needed to go back on the medication but when I feel like this I don't need any medication I feel on top of the world, my thoughts about life are much clearer. People have told me off at work for being too explicit in my topic of conversation. The next minute, I could be down in the dumps totally, not being able to motivate myself to do anything, irritable, despairing, close to breaking point. Wanting to sleep all day. I have been having problems concentrating. I feel physically tired and am struggling to eat much. I am struggling around two main issues, do I have a mental illness and do I need my medication. Psychiatrists don't seem to be able to agree, one minute I have autism and some psychotic illness, the next it is just issues caused by autism and they say I don't need my medication. A private psychistrist I saw last year said she thought I had schizoaffective disorder. Then the latest psychiatrist wants to stop my medication, when doctor at Emergency Department the other month wanted it increasing. In late August I took a drug overdose. A couple of months later I was again suicidal, paranoid and believing strange things. Many thanks in advance,

My prescribed medication is aripiprazole 20mg daily

Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

From the symptoms you describe, it sounds like you might have Bipolar disorder, possibly Type II. That is because you are having periods of extreme highs and periods of extreme lows. It could be aggravated by other disorders such as Autism, but extreme highs (feeling good, on top of the world) and extreme lows (no motivation, depression) are signs of Bipolar disorder.

You are getting too many conflicting reports from doctors about what you might have and that does not help you seek the right treatment. It's like going to the doctor with a pain in your side. It could be a pulled muscle or appendicitis, but until you know for sure, you don't know how to treat it.

Your first step should be to find a professional who can provide an accurate diagnosis. To find a good therapist, talk with your regular doctor. Or use this resource to help you:

Also, talk with anyone you know who has had treatment about their experiences. If you don't know anyone, you can contact your local university and hospital for recommendations. Usually, nurses can help as well since they work with many doctors and know who is the most qualified.

Consider researching Bipolar yourself as well to see if you fit the symptoms. You know best what you experience so you can often find out yourself what you might have then have a professional confirm it for you. Here are some resources to help:

I hope this has helped you,