TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Hi, I am thinking of getting some online help but am not

I am thinking of getting some online help but am not exactly sure what path to go down to get the best out of a course.

Basically Im a 24 year old women and live with my Dad who has a lot of insecurities and as result i am suffering from emotional abuse from him.

Im experiencing really bad anxiety and feel as if my chest is closing up and my head is really heavy. I have really intense fear and am suffering from depression and i worry that im closing up and feel that there is no way out and really dont know what to do anymore. Seems like everytime i start to get myself better my Dad will use this opportunity to make me feel like a horrible person for no reason. He has told the neighbours theres something wrong with me and threatened to ring the police to get me thrown out. He will shout at me for no reason and after a normal conversation with him i feel really stressed out and feel I dont have space to get myself better anymore.

Im really worried :( help!!

Kind Regards,

Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

It is going to be very difficult for you to feel better if you are still living with the situation that caused your symptoms in the first place. It sounds like you are being abused by your father and as long as you are there and he has access to you, you are going to feel as you do.

Is there any way you can leave your father's home? If there is, try to leave as soon as you can. Once you are out, you can begin to heal from the trauma of what you have been through. Even if you have to stay with another relative or a friend, it will still help you to be away from the abuse.

Abuse can cause many of the symptoms you are describing and what you are feeling is a response to what you have been through and it is very normal although frightening, I know. There are many ways to address how you feel so you feel better. If you can, try making an appointment with a therapist, the sooner the better. You need to know what diagnosis you do have so you know what to do to feel better. A therapist can do an evaluation and determine what kind of anxiety you are dealing with. Also, you want to know if you might have PTSD from the abuse you have suffered.

Also, you can talk to a therapist on line for additional support. There are many sites that offer therapy which is available around the clock so you always have support no matter when you need it.

Self help can also be a valuable tool to help you feel better. Learning more about abuse and the symptoms you have can give you more control over your situation and better options to help yourself. Here are some resources to help you:

Adult Children of Abusive Parents: A Healing Program for Those Who Have Been Physically, Sexually, or Emotionally Abused by Steven Farmer

Toxic Parents: Overcoming Their Hurtful Legacy and Reclaiming Your Life by Susan Forward and Craig Buck

The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Edmund J. Bourne

The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Anxiety: A Step-by-Step Program by William J. Knaus EdD and Jon Carlson PsyD EdD

Most of all, keeping reaching out for help. You need support so you can feel better and so you can get out of the situation you are in. You deserve better than to be treated this way by your father.

I hope this has helped you,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your answer, its been a great help and am so glad i got into contact with you. Im intending to move into a flat sometime in the near future as soon as i start to feel better. Ive been staying with my sister which has improved my outlook and made me feel a bit happier about things but what im really worried about is that i fear that im hearing voices! Im experiencing allosrts of confusion, its affecting my thoughts and i cant seem to function properly or think realistically. My ears feel really blocked and im getting heart palpitations. If you could tell me where i could get online help or know of someone who specialises in hearing voices that would be a great help as i dont want to set foot out of the house as i feel really weird :(

You're welcome!

There are counseling sites where you can chat with therapists. Go to Google and type in on line counseling or on line therapy (I cannot recommend specific ones because of Just Answer rules, sorry). That will bring up several you can contact. On line therapy can be as effective as face to face so it is good you are going to give it a try. It will help.

You can be hearing voices as a result of the trauma you went through with your father. It would help if you could get an evaluation by a therapist to be sure, but PTSD can have symptoms as you are describing, so finding out through an evaluation will provide you with a solid diagnosis so you know what type of treatment to seek. Try talking with an on line therapist to start. Any therapist with a Master's or Ph.D. can help you diagnose why you might be hearing the voices.

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer.
Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay thats great thankyou, its given me peace of mind knowing that there are people out there that can help & feel a little less anxious and have regained some hope now so thankyou!!! I will definately look into to seeing where i can get some online help!

I think ive had ptsd or a stress related condition when i got made redundant and split up with an ex a few years ago. Id get weird nightmares and see random people who werent real. This all stopped last year but as a result i still feel out of touch with reality and still have a bit of an "abnormal" perception.

Sorry if i have seemed cold towards you in anyway, i can sometimes close up from anxiety attacks and shy away from talking to anyone as i feel like i dont recognise myself.

Anyway thanks once again for your help and ill get to work with the online voice help!

Kind Regards,

You're welcome! You seemed very friendly to me :) And I think by talking about what you have gone through, it is going to provide relief. When you have suffered with abuse and the ending of an important relationship, you should not be alone to struggle. By getting support, you can feel better and find new ways to cope with the stress.

My best to you,