Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
46062601

i go to bed at night feeling tired OKMH1209211

i go to bed at night feeling tired i sleep for about 2 hours then wake up and catnap the rest of the night when i wake up for wor i feel runned down. I would love to get a good sleep at night. What can i do to get that sleep also i cant relax at night

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 2 years ago.
Hi there
Thank you for writing in here.
Let me ask you a few questions:
When did this start?
Are you under stress from work lately?
How's your appetite?
Please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I cant remember the last time i had a good nights sleep.ihave been eating when im hungry my eating is all messed up.ost of my stress is vehicle related and my mind wont stop thinking during bed time i have a hard time getting my body to shut down and relax
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 2 years ago.
I will be back with my answer in 5 minutes.
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 2 years ago.
Hi there
Thank you for waiting.
I’m so sorry to hear about your situation.
It sounds like your sleep disturbance has to do with stress, anxiety and/or depression.
It's important for you to reduce stress, relax as much as possible before going to bed, eat well, and exercise at least twice a week during daytime (not at night).
A warm bath, yoga, or calming music before going to bed may help.

You may try stress reduction techniques and Cognitive-behavior therapy (CBT) for your condition.

Yoga, biofeedback, acupuncture, massage therapy, meditation, and deep breathing exercises in general may be helpful to relax your mind and body.

First, I would advise you to get a physical check-up from your primary care doctor to detect and rule out any medical condition that may be causing your sleep problem.

If you are physically fine, you may try Cognitive-behvaior therapy (CBT). CBT will work for anxiety or stress-related sleep problems.

You may ask your doctor for a psychologist/psychotherapist that you can work with weekly. Or you may call your insurance company and get a list of providers (licensed psychologists or psychotherapists) in your area.
Or, you can search a licensed psychologist on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to (http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/ppc/prof_search.php?iorb=4764) and enter your zip code and optional category of specialty such as Sleep problems or anxiety. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she specializes in Cognitive-behavior therapy and sleep problems. You may also want to create your mental image of psychotherapist that you want to work with – Male or female? To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So you can see it as an informational meeting. You can ask any question and negotiate psychotherapy fee.

If you have no health insurance or seek a low fee counseling, you may call The United Way toll free # XXXXX (Dial 2-1-1)to find the community mental health centers in your area in which you can get counseling even without health insurance.

Also, a heart-healthy diet like Omega 3 fatty acid may improve your brain functioning and sleep. Focus on fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Choose low-fat protein sources, such as fish, lean meat and skinless poultry. Hydrate yourself during daytime. Get plenty of calcium and vitamin D in food or supplements.

Physical activity increases blood flow to your whole body, including your brain. This may help improve your sleep.

Other recommendations are:
Avoid excess use of alcohol and drugs.
Sleep in complete darkness and try to be out in bright light during the day.
Spend time in nature weekly
Have pleasurable activities with friends and family.
Choose to listen to sounds that have positive effects on your mood.

Please let me know if you have any question. I'll be back online in 2 hours. Best regards,

Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience: PsyD Psychologist