Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

Hi Im 45, and have been having perimenopausal symtoms for

Hi

I'm 45, and have been having perimenopausal symtoms for around last 4 years - night sweats, hair thinning, fatigue reduction in periods and their cycle. Worst of all is the mood - always feeling really low. Too a point i can no longer go on without help. I used to take fluoxetine to help with post natal depression in my 30's and when i divorced but have been off it for some time now. Would it be helpful to start back on this, and if so at what dose could help me with this? Thanks

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

I am so sorry for all of the suffering you have been going through.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

There is a class of drugs known as SERMS (Selective Estrogen Receptor Modulators) that have had a lot of success with women with perimenopausal depression.

Customer:

Thanks,

Customer:

sorry, new to this

Customer:

ive never heard of these before. are they available in the UK

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

SERMs are either synthetically produced or derived from a botanical source called phytoserms. There is more so don't leave.

Customer:

ok, thanks will stay online

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

They act selectively as agonists or antagonists on the estrogen receptors throughout the entire body.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

The most commonly prescribed SERMs are raloxifene and tamofifen.

Customer:

ok, i've been trying to not take medication, but am at a point where i need some

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

Raloxifene shows estrogen agonist activity on bone and lipids, and antagonist activity on breast and the endometrium. I know this is technical but you can pass it on to your physician.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

There is more.

Customer:

sort of outside help to get me through these years ahead. Its just too much now to deal with alone

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

You need a caring counsellor to talk to and share your concerns and problems and pains.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

I will give you some more info on the SERMS.

Customer:

ok, thanks

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

Tamoxifen is widely used for treatment of hormone sensitive breast cancer. Raloxifene prevents vertebral fractures in postmenopausal, women with a tendency towards osteoporosis, and reduces the risk of invasive breast cancer.

Customer:

Ok, many thanks for this. I can make an appt with GP tomorrow to discuss these

Customer:

medications.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

While most SERMs increase hot flashes, another substance Fewmarelle (DT56a) decreases them and also increases bone mass density protecting women against osteoporotic fractures.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

I think this is an excellent idea. There is no need to suffer any longer.

Customer:

ok, thanks once again