Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

I take Clonazepam for Insomnia, but when I have something important

I take Clonazepam for Insomnia, but when I have something important the next day, I only sleep for two hours and wake up, and not being able to go oback to sleep again, I need help to have a normal life, to take a medication, go to sleep and stay asleep for 8 hours, I was wondering if tafil could help me, I have a lot of anxiety when I go to sleep just thinking I won't be able to sleep, thank you for your help.

Hi there,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well i am sorry to learn about your problem , but you see tafil ( alprazolam) is also a similar drug like klonopin albiet less effective for anxiety but yes more sedative with faster onset of action.

So expect only minor posiitve outcomes with the use of tafil ,if at all and if you want to try it better will be to try out the sustained release version of tafil / alprazolam as it will help you to sleep longer for about 6-8 hrs.

However i wil recommend you a better alternative in the form of a drug called as (Desyrel -- brand name )/Trazodone, which is to be taken at night 1 hr before bedtime which will help you not only with sound sleep but also with your anxiety as this drug is an anti depressant drug with good anti anxiety and sedative action.

So now you have got two options to discuss with your doctor which are--

Tafil sustained release at dose of 1 mg , half hr before bedtime

Desyrel at dose of 50 mg , 1 hr before bedtime ..

I personally prefer and have had good success with desyrel as far as my own patients with similar problems like yours are concerned because of it 's better anti anxiety and prolonged sedative effect which will suit your requirement better and yes any one of these two is to be used after withdrawing klonopin.

I hope this helps..

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a Positive rating if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.