Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
48585111

How can I persuade my husband that he needs to seek the aid

How can I persuade my husband that he needs to seek the aid of a therapist or counselor for depression. He has become more and more angry w/life, feelings of worthlessness, is sure he can't get another job (currently employed but wants to transistion). All the earmarks of depression. Gets angry w/me if I bring it up. What are the right words to convince him to seek help?

Bill :

Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

Bill :

I am sorry to hear about this.

Bill :

It is difficult to persuade a man to get treatment when it is clear that they are depressed and are unwilling to get help.

Bill :

You have done most of the things that one can do to help.

Bill :

I would encourage you to also read the material attached to the following links which explains in detail how to help someone who is depressed.

Bill :

The second link deals specifically with men and depression.

Bill :

Note that it is important to take care of yourself when trying to help a loved on. You have to recognize your limits and seek support from friends and family.

Bill :

Depression in men:

Bill :

If he has anyone that you know that can be you align with you in helping him get treatment ----seek their assistance. Sometime involving the medical doctor is also a way to break through resistance.

Bill :

This is a difficult challenge and I trust this information provide some useful information to help you at this difficult time.

Bill :

If you have additional questions- feel free to ask- I am happy to help.

Bill :

Kindest regards, Bill

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Wouldn't speaking w/his MD be a violation of HIPPA?
Lynne-
I tell people all the time that advising a Doctor of a medical problem is not a violation of HIPPA. It is the sharing of information about the patient from the Doctor to someone else that is a violation without patient consent.

If he has a good relationship with his Doctor- you can call and leave a message of FAX a letter to the Doctor expressing your concern. Often, Doctors will make an effort to call the patient (your husband) and encourage them to get treatment or come in to the office.

The Doctor can read whatever comes to his attention- cannot respond directly to you but he can call your husband and Doctors do this all the time for these and other health related issues that are of concern to family when the "patient" is unwilling to do anything about it.

I hope this is an avenue of possibility.

Kindest regards,

Bill