Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

My 9 year old grandson loves to play videogames on TV and on

My 9 year old grandson loves to play videogames on TV and on his DS. When his behavior is out of line, his Dad takes away time to play. This may be for a week/amonth/ even longer. His Dad has told him he "may" have up to an hour a day when all goes well but this is not guaranteed.
After no play time for a week, my grandson returned from a weekend with his Mom and was given an hour of play. Instead of leaving the game to go to the bathroom, he pooped in his pants so that he could keep on playing. Now my son has said he just cannot play video games for a long time. Why is this happening??

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

Your grandson is being overly punished and has developed a great deal of anxiety about the use of his video games.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

I don't think that video games are all that beneficial or helpful for the raising of children, but he has now become addicted to it and he craves it.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that he should have a regular schedule, perhaps on the weekends and one night during the week. Withholding it has become a cruel punishment for him, even though it wasn't intended to be so.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

Perhaps a better system of discipline could be devised by his father.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

He is much too controlling and strict for a little 9 year old boy.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

Your son is taking out his anger and frustration on his little boy, and this is almost abusive. He will injure your grandson's personality development if he keeps up with this.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

You must somehow get through to him. You have the best chance because you are his mother.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

I wish you great success.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

If you would like to get back to me, please feel free. I am at your service.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC