Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's

my 20 yr old son is not eating very well and has lost weight,

Customer Question

my 20 yr old son is not eating very well and has lost weight, he is working and has a girlfriend but his ex girl friend is still in contact with him through facebook. I am not sure whether he is playing games but the 2 girls know of each other and it causes issues.

Also he recently had his mobile phone and i pod stolen from some lawless so called friends who he met up with, they also slashed his car tyres and broke his windscreen. He did not tell the police because he was scared of reprecussions.

He lashed out at me over the weekend (father), under the influence of alcohol and he seems to really dislike me for the break up of my marriage to his mother. But i have realised that yesterday and today he is getting angry very quickly.

I have spoken to his mum and she says he has done this at her house as well. She thinks he might need some counselling to un clutter something that is bugging him.

In summary i think it might be a mixture of the past, the lawless so called friends, not eating very well and girlfriends.

I have booked him into see the doctor of thursday for a health check because there could be reasons why he is not eating. He seems to survive on a coffee in the morning consisting of 5 spoons of coffee and 5 of sugar.

I am looking for some support and guidence
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Bill replied 1 year ago.

Bill :

Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

Bill :

I am sorry to hear about this problem you son is experiencing.

Bill :

In reading what you have written, and relying on 35 years of experience working with young adults, it appears that you son may be depressed. This is a very treatable condition and I am happy to see that you have an appointment with his doctor where you can address this issue.

Bill :

I am attaching helpful links regarding depression which you can review. I am also attaching a self scoring depression quiz that will provide a reliable indicator as to whether your son falls within the depressed range.

Bill :

I would not focus on the food intake issue at this time as often when people are depressed - they will not eat as would be expected and it becomes a control struggle. As long as he is willing to see the Doctor...that is the first step. Consideration for further treatment should be considered - if felt to be indicated by his doctor. This may involve counseling. medication or a combination of same.

Bill :

If you have additional questions, feel free to reply, I am happy to help.

Bill :

Kindest regards, Bill

Bill :

PLEASE LEAVE POSITIVE RATING SO THAT I RECEIVE CREDIT FOR MY TIME

Bill :

Follow up questions no additional cost.

Expert:  Bill replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Bill replied 1 year ago.
Chas-

Please explain why you have rated this poor service?

As above, I encouraged you to ask more if you had additional questions??????

Thanks,

Bill
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXXXX XXX I’m the moderator for this topic. I am sorry, but It seems that the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. But don’t worry….. If you are still waiting for an answer, I will try to find a new professional to assist you! Please keep in mind that sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected. All of our Professionals come on at varying times, so sometimes it’s a bit difficult to predict. Either way....If you would prefer not to wait, please feel free to let me know, and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you.

Camille