Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
48585111

Good morning, My daughter is 5 years old and she had a throat infection lately then she b

Good morning,
My daughter is 5 years old and she had a throat infection lately then she became obsessed with eating food and afraid anything might happen to her if she eats strong food (she eats in a very weird slow way) - she sometimes imagine she swallowed a fly or if she does not find a pen or rubber she was using, she imagines swallowing it. If she was playing with colors or chalks and then she put her finger in her mouth she would ask if it is poisonous.
She had a tonsils operation last April 2012 and experienced complications that she vomited a lot of blood and had another operation to stop the bleeding and stayed in the hospital for a week - so her main concern (as this is her first time to get an infection after the operation) is bleeding from her mouth again - I talked to her a lot and explained that will never happen, but she is losing weight so quickly and very obsessed.
Please help me and let me know how I can help her forget about this or get rid of this obsessin

Bill :

Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

Bill :

I am sorry to hear about this anxious and somewhat phobic reaction your daughter is having.

Bill :

First, you need to address this matter with her Pediatrician who can often provide some helpful feedback.

Bill :

Fears of this nature are no uncommon in children of this age and it is important to try and normalize the fear using some of the tips and suggestions in the following links:

Bill :

If you daughter is not listening and you are not making any progress- she may need to be seen by a Child Psychologist or Psychiatrists to help treat and over come this issue. This is something you also want to address with your Pediatrician as they typically have Expert resources that can help with this type of issue.

Bill :

Keep in mind that a child at age 5 does not process conversation as adults do so sometimes it is better to communicate using other techniques such as drawing a picture of how she feels or thinks about food and eating or using dolls to stuffed animals as props to converse with your child.

Bill :

Here are some additional tips to help:

Bill :

Again, consult with the Pediatrician for additional feedback and if this continues to worsen, seek professional intervention.

Bill :

If you have additional questions for me, feel free to ask- I am happy to help.

Bill :

Kindest regards, Bill

Bill :

I appreciate your positive rating so that I receive credit for my time.

Bill :

Thank you.