Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
46062601

My nephew is hiding cameras in my nieces room and watching

My nephew is hiding cameras in my nieces room and watching her naked. He has been caught, taking pictures of his mother as well! What is the course of action that should be taken???
Hi
Thank you for writing in JustAnswer.

Let me ask you a few questions first.
How old is your nephew?
How is he doing in school?
Has he ever worked with a psychotherapist before?
Please let me know by clicking on “Reply” and I will then craft my response.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Warm Regards,
Hi there
Thank you for writing in here.
It sounds like your nephew may have impulse control problems and/or other mental health issues.
I don't know his age.
But, I would advise his parent or family to take him to a clinical psychologist for assessment to see if he has any mental health problem, get an accurate diagnosis and develop a good treatment plan.

It's most likely that he may need to work with a psychological counselor weekly for a few months until he can correct his action/behavior.

You may ask his doctor for a psychologist/psychotherapist that he can work with weekly. Or his family may call his insurance company and get a list of providers (licensed psychologists or psychotherapists) in his area.
Or, you can search a licensed psychologist on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to (http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/ppc/prof_search.php?iorb=4764) and enter your zip code and optional category of specialty such as Impulse control. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she specializes in Cognitive-Behavior therapy.

If he has no health insurance or needs a low fee treatment, his family may call The United Way toll free # XXXXX (Dial 2-1-1)to find the community mental health centers in his area in which he can get counseling even without health insurance.
.
Please let me know if you have more questions. Best regards,