Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology in private practice
50444359

I have anxiety from a recent divorce after a 30 year marriage.

Customer Question

I have anxiety from a recent divorce after a 30 year marriage. I have taken valium in the past and it seems to help. Can you prescribe?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 2 years ago.

Hi! I'll be glad to be of help with this issue.

I can imagine how difficult this situation must be for you. Divorce after such a large part of your life was spent in that marriage is so often devastating. And so anxiety and depressive symptoms often accompany the divorce and the period after the divorce.

Valium is now classified by the Drug Enforcement Agency today as a controlled substance. It is a benzodiazepine, and all benzodiazepines are controlled. Prescriptions, in fact, have to be registered in state databases to avoid abuse. Thus, there is no legal way to get a prescription written online for Valium or any benzodiazepine.

Your only option would be to go to your doctor and see if he/she will prescribe for you. Or the doctor may refer you to a psychiatrist to prescribe it.

You might also consider adding a behavioral component to your treatment for your depression and anxiety. While behavioral treatment requires more effort from the patient than medications and is not as quick acting, it doesn't have the side effects nor withdrawal symptoms of the medications. If you would like to introduce a behavioral treatment, feel free to ask me another question about it. Just write “For Dr. Mark” at the beginning and everyone will know it’s for me.

Okay, I wish you the very best!

My goal is for you to feel like you've gotten Great Service from me and the site. If we need to continue the discussion for that to happen, then please feel free to reply and we'll continue working on this. If the answer has given you the help you need, please remember to give a rating of 5 (Great Service) or 4 (Informative and helpful), or even 3 (Got the job done) button. This will make sure that I am credited for the answer and you are not charged anything more than the deposit you already made by pressing any of these buttons. Bonuses are always appreciated! If I can be of further help with any issue now or in the future, just put "For Dr. Mark" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. All the best, Dr. Mark

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks. What type of behavioral treatment?

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 2 years ago.
There are two approaches we could take in discussing a behavioral approach for you to move forward from what has happened.

One is how to move forward in your life. In other words, not focusing so much on the anxiety as a problem but on how to replace the anxiety with building the life you want to have.

The other is to try to work on the anxiety itself and to feel more secure in yourself and to get over the grief of the divorce that you may be going through.

Which seems more in line for you?

Dr. Mark
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 2 years ago.

Hi. I see you haven't responded yet to my answer. I would be very interested in hearing back from you on whether you thought my response was on target or if we need to continue with further clarification. My goal is for you to feel like you've gotten Great Service from me and the site. If we need to continue the discussion for that to happen, then please feel free to reply and we'll continue working on this. If the answer has given you the help you need, please remember to give a rating of 5 (Great Service) or 4 (Informative and helpful), or even 3 (Got the job done) button. This will make sure that I am credited for the answer and you are not charged anything more than the deposit you already made by pressing any of these buttons.

Let me know,

Dr. Mark