Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
48585111

Can someone just stop shooting up fentynAl if they choose to

Can someone just stop shooting up fentynAl if they choose to or is it near impossible if they have access to it?

Bill :

Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

Bill :

I am happy to help you with this.

Bill :

Having worked with Addicts for 35 years, I will be very direct and to the point.

Bill :

Fentanyl is an extremely powerful synthetic opiate that requires inpatient treatment to safely detox and avoid associated withdrawal symptoms.

Bill :

If you boyfriend checked out of a rehab program and now tells you he is not addicted - He is is massive denial and you should not join him in this denial pattern.

Bill :

Detail on this drug is here: http://pain.emedtv.com/fentanyl/fentanyl.html

Bill :

Additional information on this and rehab guidelines- see:

Bill :

I am sorry that you having to deal with this issue, however, Addiction is a disease of denial and deceit. It will draw you in if you all it.

Bill :

If you have additional questions, feel free to ask- I am happy to help.

Bill :

Kindest regards, Bill

Bill :

I appreciate your positive rating so that I receive credit for my time.

Bill :

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What is the best thing I can do to help him? I have left him as he won't admit to using. He is also a physician. I am scared he wont quit but feel like there is nothing left in my power.

Barbara -

You are powerless as in anyone who is involved with someone that is addicted and refuses treatment.

All you can do is tell him that if he is ready to get help- you will support him in his recovery.

If he is a Physician, he is impaired, regardless of what he may say of think.
The Federation of Physician Health Programs assistance for Impaired Physicians.
I am attaching a link that has information for each state regarding assistance for impaired Physicians.

http://www.fsphp.org/State_Programs.html

I would give him this information or link. That is about all you can do. If you feel he is a putting other peoples (patients) lives in danger because of this impairment- you can also contact this agency and report him.

Often, it is only through these types of impaired Professional Networks that Doctors get treatment. Doctors are conditioned to help others and denial is massive among this population when it comes to surrendering to the overwhelming power of addiction.

If there is anything else I can answer, feel free to ask. My goal is excellent service and I appreciate your positive rating.

Kindest regards, Bill