Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

I am a substitute teacher and I have some students who are

I am a substitute teacher and I have some students who are ADD and other mental challenges. They have been stream lined in with other normal children. When a child with this challenge acts up by throwing things, is upset because they did not get 100% on a spelling test, did not do as well with a partner doing math facts, and could not check out a library book because they did not bring their other books back... Tell how to handle situations where their world is altered and they feel like they are not measuring up.
--Charee---

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

Dear Charee,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

Children are much more disrespectful then they were when you and I were when we were students. The values of our society have changed for the worse, and there are so many pernicious values taught on the TV, and so many children with both parents working, or from single parent families. It makes it difficult.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

I have several tips for you.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

Talk to them about their behavior. Sometimes, they may not be aware that they are being disruptive. Ask then to please stop doing it when it the behavior occurs or ask to see them after class.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

Warn them that they will get into trouble if they persist, and tell them what you are going to do. It is harder for a substitute and you must be firm.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

If you think it will not cause further problems and make things worse (and this is a judgement call on your part), call their parents and talk about the disruptive behavior, if you school will allow it.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

If you feel that the student is a security risk or may be violent, notify school security either about a particular incident, or about the child in general.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

Report the significant incidents or longstanding problems to the principal's office

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

Keep in mind that the child may have serious problems at home.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

If the child has untreated or ineffectively treated ADHD (formerly called ADD) - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, then this should be brought up with the school or district counselor, if there is one, or with the principal.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

You also have the option of sending the disruptive child to the office. Sometimes this is the best solution as it not only restores peace to your classroom, but establishes your authority and gives the children a sense of retribution for their misbehavior and disrespect.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

Is there any thing else that you would like to mention?

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

You cannot fix them. That is up to their families. You must however make sure that the problems are documented so that this behavior gets back to their families through the school administration.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

I have been a substitute teacher before in a relatively respectful small town environment, and even in such an environment, it is a stressful job maintaining order AND teaching.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

If they see you as kind and caring but ALSO no pushover, you will have your best results.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

I understand that you have nothing to add or ask at the moment, and so I will transfer you over to the Q & A mode and you can get back to me afterwards if you have any other thoughts or follow-up questions.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

I wish you continued courage and perseverance. You have a tough job and you have my respect for sticking with with, having been there myself.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

Please give me a positive rating for my effort (ABC and not D or F).

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott Sewell, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

You never really gave me concrete tools to use or say in the different situations.

Dear Charee,

You must challenge them and not let them get away with negative behavior. Giving stickers for just acting as they should is not going to stop bad behavior. They don't care about stickers.

If a child is throwing things in the classroom, you enable him or her by ignoring them. It seems you have the "courage" for punishing me with negative feedback, but in the meantime you let these children get away with unacceptable behavior.

I recommend that you actually discipline the children who need to be discipline, rather than just complain about it to someone who is actually spending his time trying to work with you.

This shows me a very high level of frustration, and when you want help you punish the messenger instead of taking good advice to heart or following through. This seems to be a very large problem for you, and I wish you well, and also wish that you reconsider the undeserved negative rating you gave me from a safe distance, while in a real environment you ignore the troublemakers.

Yours truly,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC
Dear Charee.

Thank you for reconsidering the negative feedback. I hope that you can fearlessly handle the troublemakers. Somebody has to be in charge, and person HAS to be you.

I wish you great courage and success.

Warm regards,

Elliott