Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

Dear Dr. Keane, (live chat) what would you recommend I advise

Dear Dr. Keane, (live chat) what would you recommend I advise a friend of mine to do to help her cope with a member of her family who suffers from depression. I listen to her and what is going on but don't know what to say for best. Lots of times I know just what to say when she's having a bad day and such, but on this I just don't know. Her family member has seen a GP and has had medication in the past. I think she's trying to get him to see a therapist/councellor. The problem being is her family member at the moment doesn't stay in just one country as he can't decide whether to go back home to what is now the family home or stay here where he's got other family who he gets on with better. I told her that she needs to look after herself too, which, last time I saw her (we're many miles away), she was and we talk a lot on the phone/skype to catch up about this and that but this seems to be a main thing right now and I want to be able to help her, just not sure how, except to liste, which I know she appreciates. I suggested to her that she perhaps helped this member find a GP and explained what was going on or trying to find a therapist of sorts and did some quick research where to find them. I also suggested to her that she might want to talk to someone too because I can tell how stressed and sad she is feeling because her family might not be altogether for Christmas, which just never happens. We talked about her focussing on her work and some of her other plans, which she has been doing already. I don't want to tell her something wrong or that's not going to help. I told her she could talk to me anytime because I know, like me she opens up to very few people. but we've been good friends for many many years, so she knows she can do that. I am trying to be a good a friend to her that I can be as I know it’s hard on her but not entirely sure what to advise……As for me I want to apologise for a previous posting when I knew that I wasn’t feeling too great and I should have thought about it properly. I hope you can accept my apology and I’ll ask my question in full next time and when I’m not feeling ill…….Can’t remember if I said but there should be 3 more episodes of Call the Midwife at least for you to watch and we’re getting a Christmas special before the start of season 2. Thought I’d mention that because I remember you saying you liked it and were hoping there was more. Anything more you want to know about UK tv you only need to ask. I’ll try to continueto recommend dramas that I think you may like. Thank you for any help you can give me in this situation.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 2 years ago.

Dr.Keane :

Hi, basically all you can do is what you are doing, listening and validating her concerns. You were smart to suggest she speak to a professional too. You are a good friend and that's what good friends do, listen. No apology necessary. Thanks for the information on programs, nice to know there will be more.

Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience: Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.