Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist

Lost two good jobs in two years due to my fault. Currently

Lost two good jobs in two years due to my fault. Currently working at a lousy job. Grateful to have it but there is no future. Very depressed. Want to get a chance to prove myself again but afraid I will not get a chance. Constantly obsessing about it. Need help and direction. Please help. Thank you.
Hi there
Thank you for writing in here.
Let me ask you a few questions first:
What type of jobs have you had before?
What mistakes have you made?
Please let me know.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Insurance claims adjusting. Successful for several years. Substance abuse problems hurt my productivity at work. Therapy and treatment helped me put these behind me but I am depressed and anxious that I have been unable to go back to the work I am good at. Afraid I will be unable to provide for my family. It is not unfair for me to be punished for my mistakes but I fear I will be permanently shut out.

Thank you for your reply.

I understand your worry.

Have you applied for insurance jobs lately?

Has anyone asked you during an interview why you left the previous job ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes to both questions. I have responded that things did not work out and that I have to accept my share of responsibility. Have gone past the HR phase of interviews and spoken with local hiring managers a few times the last few months (left second job in August). I have never been asked for more details but I have not gotten a job offer either. Don't think I can spin losing the second job as a voluntary job loss in this economy.

I will be back with my answer today.
Hi there
Thank you for waiting.
I had to be offline for a while due to other duties.

So, you are working at a lousy job, while applying for insurance jobs.
You have not gotten a job offer. You are anxious and depressed about this situation.
It's important for you not to dwell on the past and keep applying for insurance jobs until you get an offer.
You've been clean and have no substance issue now. Right?
You don't have to volunteer the information during job interviews.
As far as I know, it may take a year or more to get a right job that you really want.
So, you may need to maintain hope and motivation and keep applying for better jobs.
If your feelings of anxiety and sadness overwhelm you, you may need to work with a psychotherapist/counselor or a life coach to manage anxiety and depression during this stressful time.

Please let me know if you have more questions. Best regards,