Dr. L
Dr. L, Psychologist
Experience:  Psychologist, Marriage and Family Therapist
63993671

What are the known differences between a male and females brain?

What are the known differences between a male and females brain? If possible I need an answer to this soon. Thank you

Dr. L :

Dr. L :

I would like to help you with your question.

Dr. L :

One of the differences between the male and female brain is size.

Dr. L :

The male brain is typically about ten percent larger than the female brain. This is about overall body size...rather than about intellect or other factors. Men tend to be left-brain dominant, while women are more evenly balanced between left and right-brain processing.

Women are thought to have better communication skills and emotional intelligence than men.

The inferior-parietal lobule, which controls numerical brain function, is larger in males than in females. On standardized tests, men often score higher on mathematical tests than women.

When faced with stressful situations, men usually employ ‘fight or flight’ tactics, while women use a ‘tend or befriend’ response that is rooted in their natural instincts for caring for their children and establishing strong group bonds.

6. Language: Women often excel at language-based tasks for two reasons: two brain areas that deal with language are larger in females, and females process language in both hemispheres while males favor a single brain half.

7. Emotions: Since women tend to have a larger deep limbic system then men, they’re more in touch with their feelings and are better at expressing their emotions. This makes women better at connecting with others, but unfortunately also more prone to different types of depression.

8. Spatial abilities: The parietal region is thicker in the female brain, making it harder for them to mentally rotate objects – an important spatial skill. Women often report difficulty with spatial tasks, both on tests and in real life. Want to test this theory with a loved one? Play HAPPYneuron’s visual-spatial game Points of View and test each others ability.

9. Susceptibility to brain function disorders: Men are more likely to be dyslexic or have other language disabilities, since they’re more often left-brain dominant. Males are also more prone to autism, ADHD and Tourette’s Syndrome, while women are more susceptible to mood disorders like anxiety and depression.

Dr. L :

Also see this article for other differences

Dr. L :

http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/life/inside-the-mind/human-brain/men-women-different-brains1.htm

Dr. L :

in grey matter, processing speed and so forth.

Dr. L :

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Customer:

Thank you so much, you have been a wealth of knowledge. I can not thank you enough.

Dr. L :

You are very welcome! Glad I could be of help to you this evening.

Customer:

hello Dr. L

Customer:

It truly helped make the information, straight forward.