Dr. Bonnie
Dr. Bonnie, Psychologist and RN
Experience:  35 years experience counseling children and families
37122071

Help I need to find help for my 22 year old son.

Help I need to find help for my 22 year old son. He is really depressed and can not get motivated to do anything. He just stays in his room. He has real highs and gets very anxious and then he gets really down and depressed. He has in the past cut himself and two nights ago he had a breakdown got drunk and finally told me what was going on and that he needs help. Please I need advise on where to get him help. Money is tight I am a single mom have been all 22 years and with this he is not working and cannot help.  ,

Hello and thank you for using our service. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be answering your question today.

I am sorry that your son is suffering so and you must feel very helpless. But there are many resources for you. This link is to a NAMI page in your area. These people will answer the phone. They will know the resources for people with no insurance. He should see a therapist and a psychiatrist. He will need medication to come out of this. He will get accurately diagnosed and properly treated through one of these services.
http://www.namisanfernandovalley.org/crisis-information.htm

Once he has a diagnosis you should help him to apply for Vocational Services. They will help him with school or job goals. Here is the information for accessing these services.

http://www.rehab.cahwnet.gov/dor-locations/index.asp

There is help for him as long as he follows through with the applications, meetings and requirements. A depressed person has trouble with motivation (as you know) and you may need to "take him by th hand at first".

I hope this helps and warm regards XXXXX XXXXX