Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

Which drug is better for anxiety Buspirone or paxil has less

Customer Question

Which drug is better for anxiety Buspirone or paxil has less side effects and works faster. I'm taking ,05 mg of ativan a day I cut pill in half and take morning and night. Doc, has prescriber the other meds but after reading thing on line I;m worried about taking them
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 3 years ago.
Dear friend,
Paxil is sometimes recommended for anxiety, but buspirone is more widely recommended. The latter also does not promote weight gain nor does it risk destroying your libido like most SSRIs.
If you do not suffer from seizures, the buspirone is the better choice.
It will take several weeks to kick in, and your doctor will be increasing the dosage from an initial dose from 7.5 mg orally two times a day or 5 mg 3 times a day to a maintenance dose which may be increased in 5 mg increments every 2 to 3 days up to 20 to 60 mg/day in divided doses.
I would not recommend Paxil, according to the many reports I have read. It is more prone to promote suicidality.
If it doesn't work, it is easier to taper off of buspirone than Paxil.
Give it a chance. It helps many people.
Warm regards,
Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC