Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's

What is better to take to help stop the urge to drink alcohol,

Customer Question

What is better to take to help stop the urge to drink alcohol, acamprosate or naltrexone?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Bill replied 1 year ago.

Bill :

Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

Bill :

I am happy to helpyou with this:

Bill :

Studies have shown as follows:

Bill :

Both of these medications are effective in relapse prevention in the treatment of Alcohol Dependence.

Bill :

Additional studies have show that the combination of these agents is also effective.

Bill :

See Link:

Bill :

Conclusions stated in the above research are as follows:

Bill :

"Acamprosate has been shown to be safe, well tolerated, and efficacious to help alcohol-dependent individuals achieve abstinence from alcohol after detoxification. In combination with psychosocial and behavioral management programs, it can be an important tool in the armamentarium of the provider treating this difficult disease. It has also been shown to be safe and well tolerated when used in combination with naltrexone, and may provide even greater benefit in maintaining abstinence in alcohol-dependent individuals than monotherapy. Further work is needed to clarify patient characteristics that may allow individuals to optimally benefit from one pharmacotherapy versus another. At present there are conflicting data in the literature on the optimal time to start acamprosate and further work to clarify this would be of utmost utility. In addition, this review demonstrates that the current pharmacotherapies available for the treatment of alcohol dependence are of limited clinical utility, particularly in the absence of psychosocial treatments. The continued search for effective treatments of this debilitating disease is of greatest importance."

Bill :

I trust that this helps you understand (in consultation with your Doctor) that the combination of these agents may be the more effective in maintaining abstinence.

Bill :

If you have additional questions, feel free to ask- I am happy to help.

Bill :

Kindest regards, Bill

Bill :

I appreciate your positive rating.

Expert:  Bill replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.