Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

I went off wellbutrin cold turkey because my pharmacy never

I went off wellbutrin cold turkey because my pharmacy never sent my prescription to me. When I finally got it I'd already been off for a week, so stayed off. My biggest complaint is decreased patience and lack of attraction to my husband. Things getting on my nerves. Is that still the withdrawal? It's been about 8 weeks now.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 3 years ago.
Hi there,

Welcome !

I believe the reason why you first started on wellbutrin was because of underlying depression or stress or both ? please correct me if i am wrong?

You see the increased irritability and tendency to take to offense over trivial issues and lack of patience and decreased attraction towards husband and an equally reduced sex drive / libido , if i am not wrong, are the chief complaints which you are experiencing for some time now , but having said that a lot of time has elapsed ever since you stopped wellbutrin , say 8 weeks to be precise , so it is unlikely that these complaints / symptoms are due to wellbutrin withdrawal as it must have washed out of your system long time back and has therefore taken along with itself the withdarwal symptoms too.

So these symptoms which are described above are not a part of wellbutrin withdrawal but in fact they are a part of resturning depression / depressive cognition and are strong indicators suggesting you to restart on an anti depressant otherwise you stand at a risk of developing major depression which in turn will impair your functioning in all the domains of life such as professional, family and interpersonal and social.

So to summarize these symptoms are not withdarwal symptoms but are a part of returning depression which are intimating you about the impending full blown episode of depression which still is avoidable if you choose to get in touch with your doctor ad get started on an anti depressant. If wellbutrin has worked well before then it should be given a priority as one should always try previously effective drug first . But if you want alternatives to this drug then you shal choose any one of these drugs in their respective doses such as -- lexapro at dose of 10 mg/ day or zoloft at dose of 50 mg / day or remeron at dose of 15 mg / day.

I hope this helps..

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a Positive rating if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.