Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

if a person takes a low dose of medicine for a chronic condition,

Customer Question

if a person takes a low dose of medicine for a chronic condition, is the condition mild?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 1 year ago.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

A chronic condition means that the condition is persistent. The low dose means that the dose MAY be enough to control the condition. If it is not controlling the condition then either the drug dosage is too low, or the drug is not appropriate or effective for the condition.

Customer:

The low dosage is good enough to control the condition. Does that mean the person has a mild case of the condition?

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

What is the condition, what is the drug, and what is the dose?

Customer:

condition is schizoaffective dissorder medication is navane 2 mg twice a day

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

how much navane?

Customer:

2 mg two times a day

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

That is a very low dose, like an initial dose. If it is controlling the psychotic episodes then it is working, or there are not many psychotic episodes.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

Sometimes it is hard to tell the difference between schizoaffective disorder and major depressive disorder with psychotic breaks.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

Back to your original question:

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

The condition seems to be mild.

Customer:

Thank you. Your answer is appreciated.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.