Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

Any support groups for parents of estranged adult children

Customer Question

Any support groups for parents of estranged adult children?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 1 year ago.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

I only know of one group that you can joihn

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

http://www.dailystrength.org/groups/parents-of-estranged-adult-children

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

I trust this is what you are looking for.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

It is amazing how many support groups are there for our very specific needs.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

If I recall, there may be another group on Facebook.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

Let me look at my notes. Give me a minute, please.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Support-Group-for-Parents-of-Estranged-Adult-Children/217524848284227

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

How else can I help you?

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

I shall switch over to the Q & A mode in about 2 minutes if I don't here from me. You can get back to me later, or if you are satisfied, please leave me positive feedback so that JustAnswer will credit me for my work.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

Thank you so much, and God bless.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was hoping to find a support group in Australia. People I could talk to face to face rather than online.

Is there no such group?

Dear Lyndy,

I understand how much better it would able to be able to talk face-to-face.

Both of these sites are international and in your personal entry you could ask for people near you. I urge you to join both groups and make it known that you wish to have face-to-face contacts. You are bound to find some others closer to you. The people on these sites are from all over the world (mostly English speaking)..

I did some extensive searches for you but there was nothing specific to Australia.

May you find the support you are looking for on these sites. It is fortunate that they are available and you can surely use them to your best advantage.

I wish you great success in finding the support you need. There are many very caring people on these sites.

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Elliott. I'd already done an internet search and was amazed that no support organisation exists here in Australia.

I live in a small regional centre in NSW and discovered a group of 7 women in this town but they no longer meet or wish to talk. I was surprised that there were so many.

I think it is far more common that people realise. In many cases it is a taboo subject altogether or people are quick to blame the parent.

Perhaps, as you say, through the web site or facebook I could find some local people. I'll try.

I wish you great success. God bless you and thank you for the kind words.

Warm regards,

Elliott
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
Dear Lyndy,

Thank you so much.

My very best wishes to your family,

Elliott