TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Hi a friend of mine has recently tried to stop smoking cannabis

Hi a friend of mine has recently tried to stop smoking cannabis he was told melatonin would help him sleep thing is he is anxious agressive and completely intolerable abd wants to know if he should take this during the day. He used yo smok a min of 7 a day
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

Melatonin is a naturally occurring hormone in the body that triggers sleep. When someone has difficulty sleeping, Melatonin supplement can be used as a sleep aid. It tricks the body into thinking it has sufficient hormone and sleep follows. It is very short acting so taking it during the day would only trigger sleepiness for a short period.

Your friend can try to use it during the day but should check with his doctor first, since everyone reacts differently to medication and his doctor would know his medical history. Also, melatonin is usually only recommended for short periods of time because it can cause side effects such as irregular heartbeat and bizarre dreams. Long term side effects include increased chance of depression.

Your friend may benefit more from drug and alcohol treatment through a counselor. And he might also consider talking to his doctor about taking a medication like Ativan to help him control his symptoms. It sounds like he was using the cannabis before to help keep him calm and now that he is not using, he can safely substitute a medication like Ativan, which is prescribed but also can be taken as needed to help him feel calmer.

I hope this has helped you,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks he is not keep on takingprescription drugs. We were told because cannabis inhibiys the production of melatonin in the pineal gland and cannabis mimics its effects then when withdrawing you need the melatonin until the pineal start producing adequate ammounts in itsnown

That makes sense. It would be like a withdrawal effect since cannabis increases melatonin while you use it. Stopping it would create difficulty sleeping. So if his doctor clears using melatonin supplement for a short time until his sleep pattern regulates, then it is a good idea.

But he also needs to eventually address his aggression, if it remains an issue after he regains his regular sleep patterns. If he still has the same symptoms, then treatment may be his best option, if he is willing to go. It will help him stay off cannabis and regulate his moods and his sleep. And the better his sleep, the easier it will be for him to control his symptoms.

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!