TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Hi, Im concerned I may have ADD. I dropped out of college

Hi, I'm concerned I may have ADD. I dropped out of college because I had sever difficulty reading material. I lieterally had to read a page 3 times before I could retain any material. Usually, I would have to write the entire back and highlight it to retain the information. I ended up going to a vocational schoool and by the method above gotsome computer certifications that got mea career in IT. Unfortunatly, my employer wants me to recertify to keep my job and rewriting the certification books for the tests is something I have not enough time for after work all day. I have actually only been able to read 1 book in my llife from cover to cover, and that was when I was in Elementary school. I only got teh honor role once, and that was is 3rd grade. Do you think I could have ADD?
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

It is possible that you could have ADD (also called ADHD) but it is also just as likely that you might have a learning disability, which is different than ADD. ADD, or ADHD, is not a learning disability. And since you only are experiencing difficulty with reading, that may be another reason you might have a learning disability and not ADHD.

For adults who have the disorder, it is characterized by trouble concentrating, organizing tasks, remembering information and completing work on time. Up to 10% of children are diagnosed with ADHD and 60% of those carry the disorder into adulthood.
The criteria for Adult ADHD is different than with children. Here are some common symptoms you might experience with the disorder:
Chronic boredom
Relationship problems or Marital Difficulties
Tendency to overlook details
Not paying attention during conversations, inability to listen well (in any conversation)
Easily distracted
Emotional difficulties

And here is a link for learning disabilities for adults:

To find out which diagnosis you might have, you can either see a counselor who specializes in learning disabilities or you can use an educational specialist/psychologist for an evaluation. To find one, you can either talk to your doctor for a referral, or search on line at:

Treatment for ADD/ADHD ranges from medications to behavioral modification therapy. And treatment for learning disabilities range as well, depending on the type of disability. But either way you will be able to find assistance so you can perform better at your job.

I hope this has helped you,

You may want to try this resource as well:

The Gift of Adult ADD: How to Transform Your Challenges and Build on Your Strengths by Lara Honos-Webb

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the advice. I also thought I may have ADD because I have to take 2 to 3 5 hour energy drinks a day because things seem to be going on too fast for me to handle and take care of all my tasks at work. I also scored moderately high (mid 60's) on the Jasper/Goldberg Adult ADD Questionnaire. Math was the main thing I had problems with in school, but any kind of reading retention is horrible no matter the subject, but hands on and visual learning is much easier. I'm going to see my general physician later today, but wanted to get a psychologist opinion before bringing this up.

With those additional symptoms, it is possible you do have ADD/ADHD. There is no way to tell for sure unless you have a full evaluation, but it is a good idea to bring this up to your doctor so you can discuss your options, including medications.There are treatments that can help you focus and learn to cope with the symptoms.

Medications can do wonders. The medications work by stimulating the pre
frontal cortex of the brain. This area of the brain remains in a less mature
state (ability to organize) and has trouble dealing with the impulses from the
central part of the brain where wants and desires emerge. The medication simply "wakes up" the pre frontal cortex further and allows it to function
as it should.

You can also use self help and support groups to help control your symptoms,
if you have ADHD. Here are some resources to help:

Most of all, it is important to seek a good evaluation to be sure what you do have so the treatments you try are able to help you.