Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.

Dear Dr. Keane, At times I am told to just

Dear Dr. Keane, At times I am told to just toughen up. I feel that I am doing my best to do this. Usually I find such a comment just so unhelpful. I try doing self-talk to help make me feel better. What do you make of such a comment? It's something that's said periodically and it troubles me at times.

Oh and it is still okay to keep posting/chatting to you isn't it? Your comment the other day was very modest I thought by the way. I meant what I said. I'm glad too that I don't seem to bother you or annoy you. I was just thinking about how I used to ask you that a lot. I remember you saying you'd say if I did. I'm guessing I don't though with the comment you made about the grade A. I have for awhile now continually felt all that reassurance you gave a lot has helped and I do feel secure knowing I can post to you and that's okay. Meant to say that before but felt the post looked long enough. I am sorry I missed you the recently and hope not to again today but do need to go out to a meeting. If I do miss you then please feel free to respond. I know I really ought to post on Thurs as I have a day off then, so lots of time but don't want to miss you or at least don't want my post to.

Dr.Keane :

Hi, actually the comment is not helpful and for many people it is not said to hurt or insinuate anything. Yes, it would be better to get their point across another way but for some it is a projection of how they handle things. It may be their "self-talk". All you can do is not take it personally and know that you are doing the best you can, if you don't take it personally then it can't bother you.