Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

Dear Dr. Keane, (live chat) next steps

Dear Dr. Keane, I have been thinking about next steps . I’ve been thinking about driving lessons for in the new year. I know.... everyone thinks it’s strange that I don’t drive and hadn’t wanted to learn. I think the time may be about right to try, even though I don’t think I’d be that good at it, but thinking of just doing it anyway and in an automatic car as it takes away the equation of manual gear changes. I've been looking a little bit into it as it's something that I periodically think about. It might be sensible to at least learn, even if it may take awhile to actually have a car of my own. Perhaps it’s time to try something new, even though I don’t feel that confident about it.......I also want to say that it’s of great comfort that you told me that you "aren’t going anywhere." Apart from just telling you of this plan, just in general I am very glad that you plan to still be here and are willing to chat to me. There are other things such as job and interests that I want to tackle, but like you say, little steps at a time. That sounds sensible to me. Also that's another reason why I'm glad that you're still going to be here in the new year when it comes, because it's important to me to have the right sort of support and to be able to open up to someone I like and trust and I believe you give all of that. I have been looking back again at some of the really early posts and they provoked quite a number of memories about how I felt, especially when I wrote that first post, I was a complete mess and didn't know what to do but knew I had to do something, even though at that time opening up wasn't my thing. I am so very glad that you answered that first post and I am still so glad that you continue to want to help. I am so glad that I did decide to open up to you and I am grateful that you allow me to continue to open up to you and that you want to continue to help because I know that I have many more steps I need support in. These are all the things that went through my mind as I read my posts and what you have written. All in all I am really glad that I can feel comfortable opening up to you and I still think that you have a really nice personality, just what's needed I reckon for your job. I am learning so much from you, it's really good. Anyway on that note can we chat please? We're to get a fourth season of DA next autumn. First though, there's a Christmas episode....not long now until you get season 3.Sorry for the long post, I hadn't intended it to be quite as long as this but then I thought that I really wanted to say a bit about reading over those early posts and you show me kindness and I felt I wanted to show some appreciation back to you. Hope to catch up with you soon.

Dr.Keane :

Hi, Driving lessons, good idea, there are a lot of people who don't get their licenses until they are older and ready. Actually it isn't such a bad thing! If you manage to avoid driving and paying all the fees and costs why not. But I agree that it may be a good thing to even know how to drive, even if you don't do it regularly. It may be anxiety provoking in the beginning but with enough practice and a good instructor you'll be fine. The right instructor makes the difference between being an anxious learner and a good learning experience, guess that translates (at least in my experience) don't ask a family member to teach you!!! Glad to hear you feel you learned a lot, but truthfully that wasn't due to me, I just nudged you a bit. All your learning came from you, I just helped you to recognize certain behaviors and you made the changes. But thanks anyway.